We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SAW's BBQ - Know about it!!

Which Birmingham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
741 posts
338 reviews
Save Topic
SAW's BBQ - Know about it!!

If locals havent caught onto this place yet, then you will soon. It has taken the place of Broadway BBQ in Homewood. The owner is awesome and the food was right on point. I wrote a review under Broadway and hopefully they update the name here on TripAdvisor.

My review, for reference: "Stopped here the day after Memorial Day, 2009. I'm a big BBQ fan and from our GPS we were looking for Broadway BBQ but found SAW's BBQ instead. Appearantly, Broadway closed down and SAW opened this place up in the same spot. When we arrived, he was in his third week of operation. I heard the old place was okay, but they mostly baked their BBQ which is a no-no. Anyhow, SAW has his game together. We had a pulled pork sandwich and a half slab of ribs and potatoe with bacon, cheese, and sour cream. It was plenty for two and we ended up not being able to eat it all. Then owner, SAW then came out and was really friendly with us, ended up bring us a chicken leg with white BBQ sauce on it which was tasty. He was really friendly and we told him we were from out of town. He said he had been bottling BBQ sauce for years and had just opened up the restaurant. He gave us a free bottle of BBQ and let us sample all the sides. I even took a picture with him and pictures in front of the smoker. A great time and i hope his attention to customer service continues!"

G Rizzle

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: SAW's BBQ - Know about it!!

Another new bbq place that I really like is Moes

BBQ, not the burrito joint. There is one in southside where the oyster house was. They have the best bbq chicken sandwich I've ever tasted, and some people have told me their turkey sandwich is even better.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SAW's BBQ - Know about it!!

a good friend of mine went here last night and said he has eaten ALOT of BBQ and said SAW'S is the BEST!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
741 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SAW's BBQ - Know about it!!

Told ya. Its great and the owner is awesome.

G Man

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
216 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SAW's BBQ - Know about it!!

What is their BBQ sauce like? Is it smokey, spicy, sweet or vinegar based? And is the white bbq really like mayonaise??

I will be down there next month & would like to try some good bbq! :)

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SAW's BBQ - Know about it!!

Haz,

I can't answer about SAW, but for great BBQ, you can try Full Moon (several locations) or Moe's. Both are amazing and are in strong competition for my top favorite spot.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SAW's BBQ - Know about it!!

We went yesterday for lunch -he had lost power during the storm so he only had chicken-we both got the smoked chicken sandwich with white sauce and it was so tender and delicious-I love the white sauce-the article in paper says he worked in test kitchen at Cooking Light and found this space and decided to open very quickly- his sauce is vinegar based-thin like the old ollie's sauce-

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
741 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SAW's BBQ - Know about it!!

Haz -

I can answer your question. He actually has two sauces on the table. They are really the same, one is just thinner, i think it has extra vinegar in it to thin it out a little bit. I would say they are both on the sweeter side. They have a very unique (which i always look for) flavor. Very tasty and definatelty compliment his ribs/pulled pork, etc.

As for the white bbq sauce - it didnt taste mayo-y to be at all. It was a smooth creamy sauce, i really dont know what was in it but it went really well with the chicken, which was nicely seasoned.

I recommend this place to anyone that visits!

G Man

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
741 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SAW's BBQ - Know about it!!

HLSESS - Glad to hear you had a good experience. I wish i had one of those chicken sandwiches for lunch right now, haha.

G Man

9. Re: SAW's BBQ - Know about it!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2009, 05:46