We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Help

Which Birmingham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
634 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Help

We are driving to Florida and will either stay in Birmingham or Montgomery just for the night. We are looking for a clean/nice and even a newer hotel to stay at near the highway.

The last time we stayed at the Hampton Inn which was very nice. Are there any newer hotels the the Hampton Inn.

Thanks!

Alabama
Level Contributor
103 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Help

If you really want easy off and on to I-65, and a choice of several hotels, I would recommend Exit 246 to Highway 119 (also known as Cahaba Valley Road) in Pelham, Alabama. This is a safe suburb just south of Birmingham (so you are out of rush hour the next morning) which has a good selection hotels and food. I cannot tell you if they are brand new hotels. If brand new is your preference, there are two new ones near the Galleria area off Exit 250, but it is more confusing to get to and you may hit traffic the next morning heading south.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
294 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Help

I'm not sure which Hampton you stayed at.

That Pelham exit is a good one, with lots of choices of places to eat and stay. I'm not sure which one of those hotel would be the newest, but I do know the Hampton at that exit is not very old.

Two more exits down is the Alabaster exit, with a new Candlewood Suites.

www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cw/1/en/hotel/bhmqr

There are two nice shopping strips here. The Candlewood Suites is behind the Wal Mart and should be quiet. There are also lots of places to eat, including a Birmingham-area favorite: Jim 'n Nick's Barbecue. It's a very safe area, with a multiplex theatre, Belk's, etc., along with Target, Penney's and other stores across the road.

If you want to go a bit further, two more exits south is a smaller development. There's a nice Hampton Inn there, along with a Cracker Barrel, McDonald's and Wal Mart. Here's a link: …hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml… It's another safe area, though not as developed as the other two. There wouldn't be anything to do if you got there early except to use the hotel pool.

The Pelham exit can be a bit congested, but it is safe. If you get there early and are looking for something to do there is a family-friendly bowling alley and an ice skating rink nearby. Just ask at whatever hotel you stay at for directions. The ice skating rink is at the Pelham Civic Center. There's also Oak Mountain State Park, a lovely park with walking trails, a lake with paddleboats/beach, a petting zoo and a wildlife rehab center. It's just five minutes from that exit.

Happy travels!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
634 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Help

we stayed at the Hampton Inn that was on 30 State Farm Parkway, I think it was I 65 or something like that.

Thanks for your info.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
634 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Help

Just doing a little research on a few hotels and wondering where they are and if they are close to the interstate.

Hampton Inn & Suites 3910 Kilgore Memorial Dr

Hampton Inn & Suites 232 Cahaba Valley Rd

Drury Inn & Suites 3510 Grandview Pkwy

About how many hours is it to get to Panama City Beach from this area?

Thanks!

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
294 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Help

Two of the three of these are not off I-65. I'm assuming you'll be coming down that interstate? If so, your best bet would be the Cahaba Valley Rd property. That's the same as the Pelham/Oak Mountain/Highway 119 exit we've discussed above, the one with all of the options, places to eat and entertainment venues.

We are in that area often. The Hampton is one of the newer properties and although I haven't been in it, I think you'll like the location.

The other two you mention are in different directions a long way from beach-bound traffic, and if you're coming south on I-65, would be a long way out of your way and add considerably to your drive. But it's hard to tell that from a map, isn't it?

From Cahaba Valley Road/Highway 119/Pelham, it will take about 4 to 5 hours to get to Panama City, depending on how much you stop or how fast you drive. But you might want to double-check that with Map Quest, as I've just done Destin and/or Orange Beach from here, not PCB. I'm assuming you'll be going I-65 to Montgomery, then going the U.S. Highway from there?

Have a great time!

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Help

The one on Cahaba Valley Road is the only one close to I-65. It is at exit #246 in Pelham, which is just south of Birmingham. This would be a good option for you. From there, it is about 5-6 hours to Panama City depending on traffic and stops. Note that there is interstate construction at this exit, but all lanes are open. Delays usually only occur at rush hour in the morning and evening.

7. Re: Hotel Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2010, 06:18