We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US 78 Memphis to Birmingham

kansas
Level Contributor
64 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
US 78 Memphis to Birmingham

My husband and I are headed through Birmingham on a 1800 mile cross country trip. The last time we were down your way Memphis to Birmingham was difficult. The 09 atlas still shows about 45 miles under constructed. Is that accurate or has it been completed. Thanks for your help.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US 78 Memphis to Birmingham

Not completely finished but almost! Mostly just at the connection point of I22 (Corridor X aka HWY 78) and I65. I'm sure someone will chime in with the complete directions for you but I take the main exit that trucks and all must take when I go through there because I live west of Birmingham. Now you can pretty much go from just outside downtown Bham all the way to Memphis via FUTURE I22.

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US 78 Memphis to Birmingham

Corridor X/Future I-22 is now complete to within less than two miles of I-65. You have two options to get to I-65 - assuming you want to get to I-65 south. As you get close to Birmingham on Corridor X, signs will direct all Birmingham traffic to exit onto Highway 78 at exit #85 (I think that the right exit number). Do not exit here, but stay on Corridor X for a few more miles. Exit onto Cherry Avenue at I belive exit #91. Turn right onto Cherry Ave. and go a few miles through a residential area. At the first traffic light - Daniel Payne Dr. - turn left. This road will intersect with I-65 in about 3 miles. The other alternative is to take the Hwy 78 exit and follow it east to Birmingham where it will intersect with I-59/I-20 You will take 20/59 East/North a little over a mile to I-65. I highly recommend the Cherry Ave. option. If you look at the area on Google Maps, you can see the route. Part of the highway that is complete still shows as under construction, but it is complete to past the exit #91 that you will need to take.

kansas
Level Contributor
64 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US 78 Memphis to Birmingham

Thanks to you both for your help.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,988 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US 78 Memphis to Birmingham

For your recommended route, how would this work in reverse? That is, what would be the exit off of I65 North to get to Daniel Payne Drive, and are there any landmarks where you would turn right on Cherry to get up to Route 78?

Thanks.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US 78 Memphis to Birmingham

I believe Daniel Payne Middle School is on the right at the red light where you turn on to Cherry Avenue. It's been a few months since I've been through there but I do recall seeing a Cherry Avenue street sign also.

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US 78 Memphis to Birmingham

The exit off of I-65 is # 264 - 41st Avenue. VeeBee is correct that Daniel Payne School is at the intersection where you turn. Not sure if it is an elementary or middle school, though.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,988 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US 78 Memphis to Birmingham

I've read that the US 78 expressway is now open to Coalburg Road. This this mean that the directions from northbound I-65 would be to take it to the 41st Street/Daniel Payne exit, turn left, and then turn right at Coalburg Road?

If so, are there any landmarks where you would turn right at Coalburg Road?

Thanks.

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US 78 Memphis to Birmingham

There is a FedEx facility on the right at the intersection of Coalburg Rd. and Daniel Payne.

lawrence, ks
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: US 78 Memphis to Birmingham

Any update on this?

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: US 78 Memphis to Birmingham

Only update is that the bids to complete the highway to connect with I-65 were opened last week. Estimates are four years to complete. Until then, the information above is accurate and complete.