We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ross Bridge Resort

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Ross Bridge Resort

My wife and I spent the weekend at the Renaisance Ross Bridge

Hotel in Hoover, and I must say that this is a first class resort, beautifully designed and patterned after a Scottish castle with an authentic piper who comes down the pathway at dusk and plays the pipes. The crowning feature of the whole visit was friday night's dinner in Brock's Restaurant on property. When I say that this may have been the best meal of my entire life, there is no exageration. Chef Marx Gary was an understudy to Master Chef Frank Stitt there in Birmingham, and if Frank can create something better than this, he must be a culinary wizzard (which i actually think he is!), anyway it was suggested that I have a fish called Barramundi (?) It's similar in texture to Sea Bass and served with Kale wrapped around and a mildly pungent clear sauce whose aroma filled my nostrills before I could get it in my mouth. All I can tell you is that every tiny morsel which I tasted exploded with a flavor which seemed to be designed for that particular bite. This goes for everything on the plate and the Tapas plate prior to the entree, which contained cheeses, sweet peppers, meats and vegie bites, all prepared and executed with the perfect catalist to bring out the maximum flavor in that item. Even though a good ol down home cook can whip up great southern delights, if you take a little time to appreciate a meal done by a trained chef of the caliber of the gentleman we encountered this weekend at Brock's you must clearly see the difference.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
227 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ross Bridge Resort

Glad you had a good time. My wife and I were there this weekend, also. It was our first trip to Ross Bridge, and we loved it. We will absolutely be back.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ross Bridge Resort

Hey!, yea it was mighty hot, but it didn't cool down much going back to Tennessee and probably Texas either I'm guessing. We'll be back sometime this year and do it again.

Alabama
Level Contributor
703 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ross Bridge Resort

Thanks for the report! Sounds like you had a nice weekend. We live in B'ham and have lots of Marriott points, so we're going to have to stay here sometime!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,305 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ross Bridge Resort

We really enjoyed Ross Bridge last year but it had some maintenance/housekeeping issues. I took some of their staff on a tour of "enlightenment"--including a wall of dust in my room, broken banisters, dirty pool furniture, litter in the bushes. They were quite surprised!

Dave

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ross Bridge Resort

Felschurch,

I suspect there is a different management team there now, or they have become more motivated. Our room was clean and kind of reminded me of a large cruise ship cabin, with lots of amenities and a balcony. They have excellent key employees in every area with maybe a minor exception. Their challenge is having that large resort pool area and fast food service at certain hours. They have to really stay after the wrappers and napkins out there. It's unbelievable to me that so many people can walk off and leave trash behind to blow around the deck. You know it's not a matter of being someone else's job to pick up; It's about those individuals not being piggish!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ross Bridge Resort

I am taking my 2 children(15 and 18) tomorrow-son is going to play 9 holes. daughter getting a massage- plan to eat at the clubhouse for dinner- hope to stay by pool most of the afternoon-there is a rate for Birmingham residents under packages- for $119 during week-I happened upon it- and if you call the spa day of service it is 25% off....

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ross Bridge Resort

HLSESS,

That sounds like a great deal to me. You can drift off and pretend you are 1000 miles away or on a great cruise with the amenities and atmosphere you find there at Ross Bridge.

8. Re: Ross Bridge Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Birmingham