We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best area of birmingham,

warrington
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Topic
best area of birmingham,

we are visiting Birmingham from the UK and will not have a car. Which is the best area to stay - is it downtown? we want to be near restaurants, bars, shops etc

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best area of birmingham,

What are you planning to do while here, and how will you get around? Birmingham is not a walkable city. A couple of options that are close to some bars and restaurants are the aloft Hotel in Homewood (just south of Birmingham) and the Hotel Highlands in the Five Points South area of Birmingham.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
307 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best area of birmingham,

Sadly, Birmingham isn't only non-walkable, it also doesn't have a reliable public transport system. A rental car would be ideal to see the best we have to offer.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best area of birmingham,

If I didn't have a car and was staying in downtown Bham, I would only stay in 5 Points South area. There are enough bars and restaurants in walking distance to be safe at night. I haven't stayed here, but this place looks nice as well if you would rather have a B&B: http://www.cobblanebandb.com/restaurants.html

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
447 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best area of birmingham,

Hoover may be an option. Try the Wynnfrey at the Galleria. It is close to many restaurants and shopping and it is still a short drive from Birmingham since it is basically a suburb.

Edited: 25 August 2010, 21:27
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
242 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best area of birmingham,

I agree with the person about the Wynfrey. Birmingham is not a place to come to without a car. By at least the Galleria / Wynfrey area has many restuarants and bars within walking distance.

Also, you can walk to Patton Creek from the Wynfrey which is even more restaurants and bars and movie theatre.

Good Luck!

6. Re: best area of birmingham,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2011, 07:18