We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Bar-B-Q

Pismo Beach...
Level Contributor
188 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Best Bar-B-Q

We will be in Birmingham for a wedding this weekend and want to make sure we devote at least one meal to some good Southern BBQ. So, I wanted to get some opinions of what is considered to be the best BBQ in the Birmingham area. I've heard a little bit about Full Moon, but didn't know if there are others that would be a better choice.

We will staying at the Hampton Inn Birmingham/Mountain Brook on Hwy 280. Any suggestions of where we should try would be great!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Bar-B-Q

You can start a lot of arguments over the best BBQ in a Southern city. Jim and Nick's is good. Rib it Up is good. I would probably go to Saws at Exit 256 off I 65.

Jim & Nick's BBQ @ 1908 11th Ave. S., Birmingham, AL 205 - 320 - 1060.

Jim & Nick's BBQ @ 1810 Montgomery Hwy S, Birmingham, AL 205 - 733 - 1300.

http://www.jimnnicks.com/locations

Rib It Up BBQ @ 830 1st Ave. N., Birmingham, AL 205 - 328 - 7427.

Saw's BBQ @ 1008 Oxmoor Rd., Birmingham, AL 205 - 879 - 1937.

http://www.sawsbbq.com/

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Bar-B-Q

If it's pulled pork you're after, IMO Saw's blows Jim 'n Nicks out of the water.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Bar-B-Q

Yes, true....you'll get plenty of argument over this.

Jim N Nicks, IMO, tooo big and overpriced. not that great anyway.

Full Moon is the best for pulled pork, and traditional sides. They do a great brisket too. They have a location on 280, about 4 miles east of your hotel.

For ribs, my kids like Johnny Ray's, but I'd say Dreamland, if for nothing else, the nostalgia. They are good. Located near UAB campus, about 15 minute drive from hotel.

Demitri's in Homewood is popular, and close to that hotel, but not my personal favorite. kind of greasy.

You'll probably have to eat more than once!

have fun,

Miller

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Bar-B-Q

Full Moon is by far my favorite BBQ. I haven't seen pulled pork there - only chopped or sliced - maybe you can ask for it. The brisket and chicken are great. The sauce is amazing!! Save room for a piece of the best carrot cake you have ever tasted or a couple of their Half Moon cookies (chocolate chip dipped half way in melted chocolate).

A close second is Moe's Original BBQ. Here is a link to their locations - http://www.moesoriginalbbq.com/locations.html - Lakeview and Vestavia would be closest ones to where you are staying. Jim 'n Nicks is OK, but nothing special IMHO. I prefer Johnny Ray's to them. Dreamland is not as good as it was before they started getting too big.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Bar-B-Q

Moe's and Jim 'n Nicks, hands down.

Over the Atlantic
Level Contributor
421 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Bar-B-Q

Ollies. RIP Ollies... :-(

Demetri's in Homewood is a favorite of mine. I'm also a fan of The Golden Rule out on old Hiway 20.

Alabama
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Bar-B-Q

Definitely try Moes. Dreamland can be hit and miss...But, if you do go to Dreamland, you MUST get the Banana Pudding. It's wonderful!

8. Re: Best Bar-B-Q

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 19:17