We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chinese restaurant...

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
chinese restaurant...

OK...I know I am not technically supposed to put review information in a forum post...and i know there is a way to apply to get a reataurant listed that is not currently listed...

but, in the interest of this not getting lost in all of that, i just want to make a few comments about "Mr. Chen's" on US Highway 31 in "north" Hoover.

we live here in the Birmingham area, and i visited this place for the first time about a year ago, while being told it is "different", "fresh', "authentic", etc. I don't know about other cities, but here in Birmingham the last few years it has become less desirable to go out for Chinese because many of the restaurants began to cut corners, time, quality, etc.

I had my doubts because from the outside, it looks like a complete hole in the wall, with photos of the dishes pasted on the windows, but once inside, the decor is "different", updated, modern and charming. And the food really really WAS fresher and more authentic. There ARE traditional dishes, but also fresh seafood dishes, light options, and they are very flexible about how they are willing to prepare things to order. They even have a handful of creepy, weird Andrew Zimmern type things for those after the ultra authentic. : )

Went again this week, and dont know how in the world it slipped my mind for a whole year about this place.

If you live here, or are visiting here, and like us, were tired of the same old same old when it comes to Chinese, try this place.

It is in a strip center with Green Valley Pharmacy...right next to Publix.

eventually I will do an official review!

Miller

Alabama
Level Contributor
703 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: chinese restaurant...

Thanks so much for this post! We were sad when our favorite Chinese place (Golden City on 280) closed, and have not been able to find a place that is consistantly good (the last place we carried out, I simply asked for no nuts on the cashew chicken. When we opened it up at home, we found it chok-full of nuts, but sans the veggies, and they left the sauce off of the other dish we ordered). We will have to try this place out soon!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
82 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: chinese restaurant...

Thanks for the Chen post. Sounds like its worth trying. Most chinese restaurants serve a americanized version of that we expect as chinese food and its simply not real. Most of these dishes do not exist in China. Real chinese cuisine is very complex and can be excellent. Wish we could find it. Thanks

3. Re: chinese restaurant...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Birmingham