We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birmingham or Little Rock?

Which Birmingham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Birmingham or Little Rock?

Trying to do a multi-city trip at the beginning of March. Flying into New Orleans and driving to Natchez, Ms. Then deciding whether to spend a few days in Birmingham or Little Rock before driving to Nashville and then flying home to Philly.

Decided on New Orleans since it is a direct flight. Also, Natchez has Spring Pilgrimage. I am on a mission to see all 50 states, so this trip can check off three. My husband does not love the idea of driving for too many hours so that is why we are not going straight to Nashville.

Any suggestions or changes to the itinerary would be appreciated.

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birmingham or Little Rock?

Trying to decide between Birmingham and Little Rock as a vacation spot is like trying to decide who is the best hockey player in Ethiopia. Have you considered Memphis?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,009 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birmingham or Little Rock?

I agree to consider Memphis. From Natchez you can head up to Vicksburg which is one of the best military history parks in the country. It ranks right up there with Gettysburg. You can then easily make it to Memphis.

Memphis has the Civil Rights museum, Beale Street, Graceland (Elvis home), Sun Studios, etc.

If you want to say you've been to Arkansas then all you have to do in Memphis is cross the bridge over the MS River and you are there.

Once you leave Memphis if you are a fan of Elvis then come back to Tupelo, MS and head out US Hwy 78 and connect on to I 65 north thru Alabama on the way to Nashville. This way you have covered another one of your states.

Good luck with your trip and if you have more questions please let us know.

Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birmingham or Little Rock?

Thanks for your suggestions. I think I am going to save Little Rock for the next time since I really want to spend the day at the Clinton Library. I thought I would do day trip from Natchez to Vicksburg and cut to Nashville through Alabama. I am not a real big Elvis fan.

I don't just want to drive through a state but want to at least see one major attraction or city.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,009 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birmingham or Little Rock?

The people on the Birmingham forum will give you great advice- there is the Civil Rights museum and institute, Vulcan park, 16th Street Baptist Church, etc. All great places to visit. We are fortunate and can make day trips to the city.

One thing to note- if flying into New Orleans and out of Nashville be sure to check one way car rental fees- they can be very expensive.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birmingham or Little Rock?

I am little biased as I live in Birmingham but beyond the Civil Rights Institute, we have a pretty terrific art museum, some great live music venues, and I think, some of the best restaurants, like Cafe Dupont, Satterfields, Ocean, and so many more. If you like outdoor spaces, then check out Railroad Park and Moss Rock Preserve. From here it's only about 3 hours to Nashville, so makes a great stop over between New Orleans and Nashville.

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birmingham or Little Rock?

How much time will you plan to spend in Birmingham? There are lots of things to do. Other outdoors things are Oak Mountain State Park, Ruffner Mountain Nature Center and lots of historic city parks downtown related to the civil rights movement. The Barber Motorsports Museum and Park is close and a great way to spend a day. Vulcan Park has the world's largest cast iron statue with great views of the city. If you play golf, some of the bet public courses in the country are nearby. Lots of great restaurants from home cooking to BBQ to steak to seafood to the finest fine dining anywhere. If you have more specific questions, please let us know.

7. Re: Birmingham or Little Rock?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 16:17