We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative to Doubletree

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Topic
Alternative to Doubletree

I am attending a conference at the Doubletree. I have not enjoyed stays at Doubletrees and was wondering if there are other places of lodging fairly nearby which I could walk from or drive from (if parking is easy and available at each). Thanks

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative to Doubletree

The Doubletree at UAB has parking - and B'ham really is a driving city. The Highland Hotel is an easy walk and is located in the 5 Point South Area - never stayed there and have heard nothing about it - just know the location. Alternatively, the Embassy Suites is just over the mountain off Hwy 280.

5 Points South has many restaurants including Highlands, Chez, Fonfon, Ocean, Surin, et al. The Birmingham Festival Theater, for local theater, is located there. Marty's is a local cash-only dive with live music - early and late. I believe the Upside Plaza is located below the Highlands Hotel...though it may have closed years ago after my days of late-nite bar hopping ended. :-) 5 Pts S is a studenty area with other bars, restaurants, etc.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative to Doubletree

BTW with a car you might want to consider:

Ona's Music Room for Jazz - at Pepper Place

Bottletree for live music - not too far from Avondale Brew Pub

Oasis...maybe too young depending on who's playing - in Lakeview

Also check The Garage Cafe - great bar and often with music -short walk from Bottega- cash only

Check out a brew pub: Avondale Brewery or Good People

Black and White lists venues and who's playing:

bwcitypaper.com/1editorialtablebody.lasso…

Great $$$$ Dinner: Highlands, Bottega, Little Savannah, Ocean - Chez Fonfon and Surin are cheaper

Other things to do/see:

The Civil Rights Museum and 16th St. Baptist Church are a must see.

The Barber Motorsports track and museum east of Bham is worth a trip, too.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative to Doubletree

The Highland Hotel looks pretty nice. Your description of the aea sounds pretty good too but yikes, some of the reviews of the Highland talk about hearing gunshots and watching blood being wiped off the sidewalks! I guess I should kind of ignore those comments as out of the ordinary??..or would the Embassy Suites area be a little better to stay in and just drive to the Double Tree for the meetings?

Edited: 22 March 2013, 08:15
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative to Doubletree

5 Pts South is the happening place in B'ham (not that that says too much). Highlands Restaurant, Chez Fonfon, Ocean, Surin, Blue Monkey, J Clyde's, Marty's and other restaurants and bars are there. It is adjacent to UAB and an easy walk to Doubletree. I've never thought of it as being particularly dangerous. My kids have often gone to the clubs in the area. It is in the city and has a young late night crowd, however, and for some people that is a problem.

Other places where there is nightlife include requiring a short drive: Lakeview (several bars - Oasis, Killarney, Lou's come to mind, and restaurants: Slice, Sol y Luna (Mexican Tapas and tequila) Cafe de Paris et al.) - and Pepper Place (Eats: Bettola, Cantina, and Bar: Ona's Music Room and others). They, too, are in the City. Good people and Avondale Brewery are two brew pubs - and other bars are located around them.

I'm not impressed with the nightlife in Homewood or Mountain Brook...but, there is some there.

It all depends on what you want.

The Embassy Suites is behind an office building off Hwy 280. It has a Ruth's Chris Steak House. Otherwise, you need to drive to wherever.

Either would work.

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative to Doubletree

Less than a block away from the Doubletree is a Marriott Residence Inn. That would be the most convenient option.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative to Doubletree

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Alabama
Level Contributor
703 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternative to Doubletree

If you are going to have to drive to the conference site anyway, I would just go over the mountain a mile or two to the Embassy Suites in Homewood...a safer area in my opinion.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
71 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternative to Doubletree

Residence Inn is directly across the street. It is fairly new too. UAB also has a Hyatt Place and I think a Marriott Courtyard? Embassy Suites in Homewood is very nice, maybe 5-10 minutes away but I would recommend the Aloft if you were going to stay in Homewood, It is IN homewood, whereas the Embassy is sort of in the midst of an office park with nothing else to do or see there.

9. Re: Alternative to Doubletree

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2014, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Birmingham