We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah to Birmingham....

Kirkland, WA
Level Contributor
65 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Savannah to Birmingham....

Hi..my wife and I will be driving between Savannah and Birmingham. Any "musts" along the way? Things to see, restaurants, etc? Also...should I avoid going through Atlanta? We'll be travelling on a Friday afternoon, so I'm thinking things could get pretty messy through Atlanta.

Thanks!

Gardendale, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Savannah to Birmingham....

I can't really tell you about things to on your route, hopefully someone else has info on that. I would avoid Atlanta between 2-6 on a Friday due to the traffic.

Helena, Alabama
Level Contributor
259 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Savannah to Birmingham....

Sorry for the slow reply!

>driving between Savannah and Birmingham.

There are two main routes that make sense for that trip: I-16 to I-75 near Macon, GA to Atlanta to I-20 to Birmingham. That is the way I would go. As long as you avoid the rush hour times (~7-9 am and 4-7 pm) it's not that bad.

The second route is I-16 to near Macon, GA then cut across Georgia through Fort Valley on Hwy 96 to US 80 to Columbus, GA and pick up US 280 through Opelika, AL and on to Birmingham.

As far as "must sees", what are you interested in? Savannah to Macon is a pretty desolate stretch, I don't know of anything to see. Macon has some lovely old homes and the Georgia Music Hall of Fame; I can't think of anything else I'd want to see/do there. Just north of Macon is Juliette, GA where the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" was filmed. Atlanta of course has LOTS of attractions, the High Museum of Art and the Varsity restaurant being my favorites. Between Atlanta and Birmingham is another long stretch of pine trees. You can always stop and tour the Talladega Superspeedway; the natural history museum in Anniston is interesting too. Mt. Cheah (sp?) is Alabama's highest point and has a nice restaurant at the top; you can drive right up.

Like Atlanta, Birmingham has lots of sights; give us some ideas what you like and we can be a bit more specific :-)

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Savannah to Birmingham....

We always avoid Atlanta. We live in Birmingham and have family in Savannah. We use the second route (the one posted by civilengtiger).

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
71 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Savannah to Birmingham....

For sure avoid Atlanta. I am not too sure about alternate routes, but if it is not too far out of the way you may want to consider traveling through Eufala, it is a really neat little town.

5. Re: Savannah to Birmingham....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Birmingham