We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Business and pleasure

Tiverton, Rhode...
Level Contributor
63 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Business and pleasure

Hi all. I'll be in Birmingham in mid September for three nights. I'll be staying at the Sheraton Downtown. When I'm traveling, I like a little adventure and I like to experience some real local flavor. What are your recommendations for:

*Restaurants

*Live Music

*Cigar bars

*Museums

*Off the beaten path

Thanks.

Gardendale, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Business and pleasure

Fine dining:

Ocean

Highlands

Botega

Casual dining:

Fat Sams Subs

Teds restaurant

Nikki west

Civil rights institute would be good to visit, as well as the museum of art.

The lake view district is good for music and bars. Check workplay as well for music.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Business and pleasure

Live music: Ona's (Jazz), Bottletree; Marty's (cash only); Oasis; Avondale Brewery also has music some times; The Nick; Zydeco, Workplay; etc - you'll have to google around. try al.com

Bars: Garage Cafe - cash only; Bottega's bar and Highland's are popular; Rojo on Highland Ave; the music venues are also bars (Rojo, Highland's and Bottega are restaurants, too); Cahaba Brewery; Good People Brewery; Dave's; J Clyde; Parkside; Blue Monkey....

other restaurants: Little Savannah; Cantina; Betolla; (a newish charcuterie next door to Betolla - name escapes me); Sol y Luna (Mexican tapas with large tequila selection...not your average Tex-Mex place)

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Business and pleasure

General areas for bars and restaurants:

5 Points South

Lakeview

Pepper Place

There is a hookah/cigar bar behind the Western on Highland Ave - enter through the alley.

It's somewhat difficult not knowing your age and likes....

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Business and pleasure

Aside from the Civil Rights Institute, museums:

Barber Motor Sports - huge collection of racing motorcycles and cars...also a Formula 1 track - you can get lessons

Sloss Furnaces - self guided tour of old pig iron mill

Vulcan (nice view of city from statue..and a small mining museum)

Museum of Art - small but nice collection

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Business and pleasure

BTW there is a cigar store in Crestline Village (part of Mountain Brook) with a smoking room: you might have to be a member to smoke there - not sure. Decent collection (used to be much much better). There are also music and eating venues nearby. I'm not a real fan of the Tiny Kingdom, but it is safe and upscale. For those who hate mingling with the hoi polloi and other undesirables, it is the place to be and be seen.

Edited: 28 August 2013, 17:52
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Business and pleasure

Here is the site for the Porsche Driving School at Barber...one day course is available. :-)

https:/…Course-Description--Pricing.aspx

7. Re: Business and pleasure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 05:18