We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Des Moines, IA to Birminghman

Which Birmingham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
88 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Des Moines, IA to Birminghman

I will be driving from Des Moines to Birmingham next week. I see there are 2 route options - going through Memphis or Nashville. From my research in the forums, it seems Memphis is the preferred route. However, I'm wondering about flooding in and around Memphis and how it may impact my drive. Can anyone chime in thoughts on either route? I apologize if this isn't the correct place to post this question. I looked for "road trips" but couldn't find what seemed to be an appropriate place. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Des Moines, IA to Birminghman

I know nothing about the flooding about the flooding in Memphis. Is it flooding right now? I did want to let you know that the eastbound portion of I22 through Jasper, Alabama will be closing on Monday the 7th for 12 weeks for repaving. You will have to detour through the actual town of Jasper. Not horrible but just wanted to make you aware of that.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
88 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Des Moines, IA to Birminghman

Thank you for the tip!

3. Re: Driving from Des Moines, IA to Birminghman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 07:16