We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Shanghai

Sydney
Level Contributor
66 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in Shanghai

Hi

I am going to Shanghai for a conference and have 1 or 2 days spare, I'm staying at the Ritz-Carlton and am interested in

Shopping

Where is the best shopping ?

Are the copy markets still operating and where are they ?

Are there any department stores or malls

Can any one advise me ?

Thanks

Currieinc

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,442 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Shanghai

For fakes go to the market at the Science and Technology Museum subway station.

A good shopping mall is the Super Brand Mall, across from the Pearl Tower (Lujiazhui station)

The locals shop on Huai Hai road.

You can walk along Nanjing Lu but nothing interesting there for shopping (only chinese tourists shop there)

In big international chains like zara the prices are the same every where in the world or could be more expensive in China. There are some interesting stores across the street from Zara where you can find clothes from Chinese designers. - not cheap. (Nanjing Xi lu (west) station - turn left when you walk out.

Sydney
Level Contributor
66 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Shanghai

Thnaks for this

currieinc

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
394 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Shanghai

thanks for all the information. What do you recommend buying while there?

SF
Level Contributor
501 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Shanghai

10 years ago, buying antique furniture is good, but now the price is high as well. I would still collect one or two every time I go shanghai.

As people say, international brand are much more expensive in shanghai compared to Europe or America, the only exception I found is GUCCI, which has the same price almost everywhere, but why come all the way to china to buy GUCCI at the same price.

ShanXi Lu is good for shopping no-brand cloth, 7-up road is too crowded and you cannot survive the air condition there.

For me, I go shanghai 3 times every year using my vacation time, to enjoy the food, the service and make small trip inside the country, which is so much fun.

There are still something might interest girl, like cloth, cell phone, my wife always do some shopping but I found NeimanMarcus/Saks has much more reasonable price for the man stuff.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Shanghai

the huge giordano store along nanjing road east has a lot of marked-down items, mostly the old ones.

went to longhua market, where most of the stalls in the now-defunct xiangyang market, the place of copied goods. if you are looking for imitations (mostly clothes, watches and luggages) then this place has lots of them but a lot of shops carry the same items. they also have silk products like scarf, shoal, etc. be prepared to bargain hard.

i was not able to go to the science and technology museum subway station so i cant compare.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
394 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in Shanghai

Are the copied goods (fakes) always of inferior quality, or is their quality close to the originals?

Thanks

7. Re: Shopping in Shanghai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2008, 15:54
8. Re: Shopping in Shanghai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 21:18