We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed for Jiuzhaigou Trip

Kuala Lumpur...
4 posts
Save Topic
Advice needed for Jiuzhaigou Trip

Hi all,

Would like to seek some advice...

Will be traveling to Chengdu in mid April.

Jiuzhaigou is in my must-to-do list

Unfortunately, i have very limited time. Plan to spend 3days 2nites in Jiuzhaigou.

1st day - fly in early morning from Chengdu & hang around

(is it too ambitious to include Huanglong in this day? Any idea what time does the park close? plan to take the cable car up & hike down, how long does it takes?)

2nd day - Jiuzhaigou National Park.

(will i be able to cover left wing (Rize Valley) of the Y, by taking bus all the way up to the virgin forest then walk all the way down to the Park Entrance? Only have 1 day to spend here but would love to experience the nature beauty by feet.

Alternatively, will i be able to make it if i take the bus down from the Virgin Forest to the next destination - Grass Lake then after sight seeing, take bus down to the next stop the Arrow Bamboo Lake then on feet from there on. Will i be missing anything great by taking bus for the path i mentioned?)

3rd day - fly back to Chengdu

Understand that the 2nd day ticket to re-enter the park at RMB 20 is not available during peak period (during my visit), can anyone assist to advise?

Thanks in advance for the valuable advice.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed for Jiuzhaigou Trip

Hi there,

We visited Jiuzhaigou and Huanglong last August. We spent 3 full days there. Two days hiking in Jiuzhaigou, and one day hiking in Huanglong.

Yes, I would think Huanglong is worthy of a day. We took the cable car up, and it took us about 4 hours to hike down. We were hiking with our two young children, age 9 and 7. Huanglong is 3 hours by car from Jiuzhaigou. And I think if you straight there from the airport, it will take you about an hour and half to get there. When you return to Jiuzhigou, it will take about 3 hours.

We spent two full days hiking in Jiuzhaigou. We took the bus up to the left side of the "Y" on day one, and hiked most of our way down. Then on day two, we took the bus up to the right side of the "Y", and hiked most of the way down. Jiuzhaigou is an absolutely beautiful place to hike, very, very enjoyable. But I think you will need 2 days to see it all by foot.

It seems most of their visitors do it in one day, and if you take the bus from stop to stop, you can see most of the major sites in one day. I think by bus, you will see the major sites like lakes and waterfalls. But you will miss all the beauty in between. We were really, really glad to have visited Jiuzhaigou by hiking, and highly recommended it. You should really see if you can squeeze out another day for Jiuzhaigou.

There was no two day pass when we went there, we paid full ticket price on both days. Well worth it!

Kuala Lumpur...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed for Jiuzhaigou Trip

Thanks for the advice HappyTraveler852.

I will reconsider my plans to accommodate additional day in Jiuzhaigou & forgo the time in Chengdu.

Thanks again. Really appreciate it.

Kuala Lumpur...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed for Jiuzhaigou Trip

Hi HappyTraveler852,

Good day to you.

Do you have any idea that if i visit the park on the 2nd day, can i just pay for the entrance & skip the bus fare?

Thanks again.

Sichuan, China
Destination Expert
for Jiuzhaigou County, Chengdu
Level Contributor
721 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed for Jiuzhaigou Trip

Yes, you can do that. You can walk into the park and then get the bus out in the evening because they won't check the bus tickets for people leaving the park later on in the day.

Kuala Lumpur...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed for Jiuzhaigou Trip

Thanks alot for the revert Jiuzhaigou.

Can i confirm that in order to do that, when i buy the park entrance ticket for the 2nd day, do i need to negotiate with the ticketing staff on that or show them my first day entrance ticket & bus ticket? This is because i read somewhere saying that bus ticket is mandatory together with the entrance ticket.

Would you be able to advise on any website that i can book the domestic flight from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou that is reasonable & reliable? i'm facing some difficulty booking the domestic ticket as some of the website do not accept master & visa card.

Lastly, any recommendation for simple & budget accommodation that is walking distance from the park?

As i'm planning to spend 3 nights at Jiuzhaigao, any suggestion what to do or where to go at evenings.

Do i need to bring thick jacket when i visit the Jiuzhaigao & Huanglong park?

Thanks again for your valuable advice.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed for Jiuzhaigou Trip

I think the bus portion of the fee is only about 90 yuan, not sure if you will be saving all that much for the trouble. And without the bus, you will end up taking twice the time to hike the round trip instead one way down, which will give you more time to enjoy the sights. I think it would be better to spend more time enjoy the place than trying to save 90 yuan, after all, you will spend quite a bit of money, time, and effort just to get to Jiuzhiagou.

I used www.ctrip.com to book all my hotel and flights inside China. They have an English site, and I did all my bookings from the U.S. They take credit cards. I think elong.com is another site you can check.

There are quite a few hotels within walking distance to the park entrance. We stayed at Sheraton, which is walking discount or cost about $1 dollar for the taxi ride. Sheraton is not cheap, but I remember seeing other hotels in that area. Perhaps "Jiuzhaigou" can give you some hotel names.

Jiuzhaigou is a small but actually fun town. There are lots of restaurants that open late into the evenings. You can definitely find some good food and drinks to pass the evenings, and there are Tibetan shows, and dinners at Tibetan homes etc. We saw the show at Sheraton, it was great.

Jiuzhigou and Huanglong can be cold. We went there in early August, and we brought along windbreakers. Although the hike did warm us up, and we didn't need it around mid-day. I don't know the weather in April.

7. Re: Advice needed for Jiuzhaigou Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 16:16