We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days to see Jiuzhaigou

Which Jiuzhaigou County hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
55 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
How many days to see Jiuzhaigou

I will be traveling to Jiuzhaigou (JZG) 1 day & Huang Long 1 day as part of a group trip to Chengdu in August.

I'm thinking to, at the end of the group trip, return to JZG for another 2 days with my parents. Would 2 days be an overkill? or would it be advisable to stay for more days?

I am contemplating to take an evening flight ~ 6pm fr Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport to Jiu Zhai Huang Long Airport. How long does it take to fly & drive to hotel. Are there any cabs in JZG at night?

Pls advise. Tks!

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,505 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days to see Jiuzhaigou

It depends. We were there for one day and it wasn't really enough. At least 2 days in my estimation. If you are a photographer then the sky is the limit. At the end of the group trip why not just arrange with the tour and stay for a couple more days? Where else are you going after Jiuzhaigou? Have the tour company book additional hotel days for you.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days to see Jiuzhaigou

If you like great natural scenery 1 day is definitely not enough. I was in JZG for 5 nights in 2009 and yet still wanted to extend my stay.From Chengdu to JZG is about 45 mins by flight. From Huang Long airport to hotels near the JZG park entrance is about 80 km and take slightly less than 2 hrs by cab. The cab fare is about RMB200 one way.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,028 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days to see Jiuzhaigou

Two to three days is enough unless you are very keen photographers or very slow walkers! If you do the ecotour you need 3 days total.

Sichuan, China
Destination Expert
for Jiuzhaigou County, Chengdu
Level Contributor
705 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days to see Jiuzhaigou

There are cabs at night but the price is more expensive. Official rate is 260 or 280.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,512 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days to see Jiuzhaigou

Two days for Jiuzhaigou and one day for Huanglong. Otherwise you miss somethings and still have to rush through. Somehow the concept of rushing through perhaps the most scenic place in China is illogical unless you are collecting bumper stickets, "I visited XYZ".

Singapore
Level Contributor
55 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days to see Jiuzhaigou

Great, thank you guys for the vote of confidence that it is worth the extension and the cab fare estimates as well:)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days to see Jiuzhaigou

We just came back from our Jiuzhaigou trip. IMHO, 2 days would be enough: one day for huanglong, one day in Jiuzhaigou. There is no much to see other than those two places there. We were not used to the food there. Too many people are visiting in Jiuzhaigou around this time and we felt a little disappointment.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days to see Jiuzhaigou

Hi there,

I highly recommend 2 days for Jiuzhaigou, and 1 day for Huanglong.

Two days will give you ample time to hike most of this beautiful park. We went there in the summer too. It was very crowded at the top points of the park, however, after that, most people leave the trail to catch the bus, then the trails thin out a great deal. Some of the path had very few people, sometimes we were the only ones hiking. That was GRAND!

If you only had one day, you will not have time to hike the park. You can see the major sights, but you will be taking the bus stop to stop, and that is where all the crowds are at. And you will be fighting crowds all day, and that is no fun.

Singapore
Level Contributor
55 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days to see Jiuzhaigou

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We will be sure to try some of that out.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
181 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many days to see Jiuzhaigou

We have just arrived back From JZG and Huanglong and 1 day for JZG is not enough. We had planned 2 full days for JZG but extended an extra day to do the eco-tour. Our itinerary was

Day 1 - arrive JZG hotel 2pm, evening show at Sheraton

Day 2 - JZG park - Rize valley

Day 3 - eco-tour Zharu valley

Day 4 - JZG park Zechawa valley and lower valley (pm only - a bit rushed)

Day 5 - check out, taxi to Huanglong and then to airport for early evening flight to Chengdu

We felt we could have done another day or two to explore the Tibetan towns and villages. If you are a photographer, you could spend a lot of time here.

Also note that many of the boardwalks are currently being replaced / refurbished so many are closed. The sections from five colored lake down past the seasonal lakes in the Zechawa valley are also closed due to a landslide. The Lower section of Zhuzheng valley between the village and Zharu monastery is also closed as is the path around Mirror Lake. Even with these closures, there is still plenty to hike.