We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huanglong and altitude sickness

Which Jiuzhaigou County hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Huanglong and altitude sickness

I'm aware that oxygen is available at Huanglong to treat the effects of altitude sickness. Is it recommended to take preventive medication? My husband did have a bout of altitude sickness in Cuzco more than ten years ago. We think this was caused by rushing between our hotel and travel agent checking on missing luggage. After that we walked the Inca trail and also visited La Paz which is at high altitude and did well. My husband read that people over 50 are less prone to altitude sickness. We are planning to fly to Jiuzhaigou from Chengdu and go to Huanglong before checking in to the Sheraton Jiuzhaigou. As we will be staying at the Sheraton for five nights, would it be more sensible is we visit Huanglong after acclimatising?

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Huanglong and altitude sickness

Just be relaxed not too tired before departure. Altitude sickness is more a random thing. You know airport itself is coming to 3500m high, just slow a little down up to HL.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Huanglong and altitude sickness

So you would recommend we do Huanglong from the airport rather than drive from Jiuzhaigou?

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Huanglong and altitude sickness

Yes, but if you really have big concern, just go reversed. It may make a little difference.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Huanglong and altitude sickness

What if we visit Songpan from the airport before going to Jiuzhaigou? Then do a day trip to Huanglong on another day? I understand Songpan is at a high altitude but we could take it more easy just looking around and visiting tea rooms and the like. We will have a very early start as we have an 8.25 a.m. flight. We're leaving home in just over two weeks and getting quite excited!

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Huanglong and altitude sickness

I recommend you stick to your original plan, i.e. D1 HL-JZG D2 JZG (not sure when you will leave for CD). Don't worry too much about altitude sickness. Many kids have also come by with Papa and Mama in holidays. If getting hard, there are cab car as well as very cheap oxygen to use. Just keep fit before landing in JZG. If having absolute loose time, you could see Songpan but really not much to see, or simply go little deeper to a 3rd alternative- Mouni Valley. In fact i think JZG+HL will be really enough for a normal relax discovery.

Keep relaxed and have fun.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Huanglong and altitude sickness

BTW it is getting colder, be sure bring warm clothing.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Huanglong and altitude sickness

Thank you for your concern. We fly to Jiuzhaigou from Chengdu on 3 Nov and to Lijiang via Chengdu on 8 Nov. We have already been shopping for goose down jackets and thermals so should be able to cope with the cold. Had a little practice a couple of weeks ago in the Australian Alps when it was snowing!

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,021 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Huanglong and altitude sickness

You need to check with your doctor for health concerns. We took diamox when we went to Huanglong, and that seemed to work for us. You are not going to acclimate in one day.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Huanglong and altitude sickness

Thanks, that's why we were considering making Huanglong a day trip from Jiuzhaigou on another day, as we will have 5 days to fill. We don't want to spoil our experience in such a unique area by suffering altitude sickness. I intend seeing the doctor as we always travel with a supply of medication just in case. Sometimes it comes back home unused but that's a good thing! Logistically, would it be better to go to Huanglong first?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,021 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Huanglong and altitude sickness

We went directly from the airport to Huanglong, then checked into our hotel and Jiuzhaigou the next day. It's a pretty long drive from the Jiuzhaigou hotel to Huanglong.