We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JIuzhaigou for 77yr old

Singapore
4 posts
Save Topic
JIuzhaigou for 77yr old

Grandma's DREAM is to go to Jiuzhaigou. She is resigned to never going there as she has a bad back and cannot walk too long, and very scared of falling.

I get the sense that this forum has many healthy happy fit travellers and hence i throw this question to ask if Jiuzhaigou is possible for seniors with walking problems (she is mobile, can take buses around, just that she needs to lie down frequently to rest her back).

Are there any months to avoid going?

Chapala, Mexico
Level Contributor
406 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JIuzhaigou for 77yr old

Does she have any medical problems where high altitude would be contraindicated? Many people with cardiac problems cannot tolerate high altitude, in some cases nothing over 2,000 m.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JIuzhaigou for 77yr old

That's kind of tough....Jiuzhaigou park requires a lot of hiking. We hiked for two full days in Jiuzhaigou and one full day at Huanglong. Lots of steps too. There are buses inside of Jiuzhaigou that will take you from one major highlight to another, but these spots are always very crowded, full of people. I don't know where she can lie down. On the floor is not that ideal.

Huanglong is on very high altitude. There are no buses in there. You can take the cable car up, but it is at least a 4 hour hike down.

My father went there when he was 70. He hiked in both of these parks. But he is quite health, and fit. He didn't even take the cable car up in Huanglong, he hiked up and then down.

Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: JIuzhaigou for 77yr old

wow your dad is very fit!

Hmm I think it is unlikely that we can bring Grandma then. Unless all she does is stay in the tour bus. Will she be able to see any breathtaking views from the buses?

Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: JIuzhaigou for 77yr old

I just got a quote from a China Private tour who says they can bring my group of 6 for a 3 days Chengdu-JZG tour with private van and coach and hotels...for US$4793 !! is that considered a steal ???

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JIuzhaigou for 77yr old

No, she will have to get out of the bus to see the sights. Sure, she can see some sights of the park from inside the buses, but the sights that made this park so famous require you to exit the bus to admire.

The bus ride is VERY long, I don't know if an elderly person with bad back can handle that long of a drive.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
536 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: JIuzhaigou for 77yr old

When I was inside JZG park I saw some people moving around with private van and not the shuttle bus provided by the park, is this the kind of service that is being provided by China Private tour ?

Sichuan, China
Destination Expert
for Jiuzhaigou County, Chengdu
Level Contributor
715 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JIuzhaigou for 77yr old

If it is a dream of your grandmother it is possible. Of course your experience will be restricted because you won't be able to get to see everywhere but you will be able to see the main sites.

Avoid any Chinese holidays - start of May and start of October. You could plan for the week directly before or directly after one of those weeks though. It might be best to avoid Huanglong. Inside Jiuzhaigou you will have to be on a Jiuzhaigou bus, the one the travel agent mentioned cannot drive into Jiuzhaigou. If you wanted to hire a bis inside Jiuzhaigou it would cost you 4800 RMB per day or part thereof.

If you get in to Jiuzhaigou early, take your time. Take your rests where you can your Grandmother can see the sites I reckon.

Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: JIuzhaigou for 77yr old

Thanks everyone for your comments. We have come up with a "novel" idea. Since everyone says that JZG is beautiful at anytime of the year. We will go there FIRST w/o grandma to check it out and bring her again if we find it truly do-able for her. As no one really knows her condition except us.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JIuzhaigou for 77yr old

Wow, you guys are the best grandkids I know! Jiuzhaigou is truly beautiful. I rarely wanted to visit the same place twice, but I would love to visit Jiuzhaigou again. You can also take lots of pictures and video in case you decided it is not a place to bring Grandma.

10. Re: JIuzhaigou for 77yr old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2013, 10:24