We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keep a Taxi for a Day

San Diego...
Level Contributor
15 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Keep a Taxi for a Day

Hello,

I am planning a trip for my family (my, wife, 2 kids) to JiuZhaiGou in June.

My plan is:

Day 1: Leave Chengdu in the morning, get out of the airport, visit Huanglong, then go to a hotel near JiuZhaiGou.

Day 2 & 3: JiuZhaiGou

Day 4: Return to Chengdu.

The question is: how can I find a taxi that I can use for a day and how much it will cost? The taxi needs to hold my luggage during my hike in Hunaglong.

Thanks,

Guilin
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Keep a Taxi for a Day

It is not hard to find a taxi at Huanglong airport. A standard taxi fee for your three days Jiuzhaigou visit is around RMB 850. Single trip between Huanglong airport and Jiuzhaigou is RMB 220. Single trip from Huanglong airport to Huanglong is RMB 150.

Sichuan, China
Destination Expert
for Jiuzhaigou County, Chengdu
Level Contributor
721 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keep a Taxi for a Day

Airport - Huanglong - Jiuzhaigou is likely to cost 400 RMB. Taxi will wait for you to finish in Huanglong. You pay at the end so nothing really to worry about.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,840 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keep a Taxi for a Day

I can also confirm that this is quite normal in Jiuzhaiguo. Do you speak Chinese?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
15 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keep a Taxi for a Day

Thanks for the posts. BTW, I speak fluent Mandarin Chinese (but cannot speak or understand Sichuan dialect).

Do I need to make reservatoin ahead of time or just find a taxi and negotiate when I get out of the airport?

400RMB sounds a very reasonable price to me.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keep a Taxi for a Day

I don't think you need to make reservation ahead of the time. When you exit the airport, you will see a line of taxies by the taxi stand. You will negociate with them for the day trip. Taxi drivers love day trips, they make good money for the day. And this day trip is very common. The day rate varies a bit, we have been quoted 400 RMB to 700 RMB. We paid 500 for our day trip.

The driver might take you shopping alone the way to earn extra commission. Don't stop in the middle of the trip to buy oxyen, we did, and paid 100 rmb per bottle, but inside the park, they sell the exact same oxyen bottle for 15 rmb per bottle.

Bowral, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Keep a Taxi for a Day

Suggest you read my trip report on this , listed here as 25 February 2012, by burradoo. You need to be warned about a scam. But, don't miss the trip- it's amazing!

Burradoo

London
Level Contributor
81 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Keep a Taxi for a Day

Hi,

Very useful information. I was hopping to do this type of trip too. However I feel I would like to book the taxi/driver in advance. Would anyone know of any company that could set this up?

Thanks in advance.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Keep a Taxi for a Day

We had a problem with a taxi at the airport. We were told on tripadvisor how much we should expect to pay. A man at the front of the queue of taxis handed us a card with the name of our hotel written in Chinese. The taxi drove a short distance and stopped to change drivers. The new driver disagreed with the price we had been told and we indicated we wanted to get out. He handed us a phone and we spoke to a man in English who insisted we pay extra to go to the Sheraton because it is further than Jiuzhaigou. It was still a reasonable fare so we agreed but it seemed like a scam to us.

I suppose you could contact the hotel and ask them to arrange a driver they trust.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
10,140 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Keep a Taxi for a Day

Gigabit, if you can speak Chinese, I'd just negotiate with a taxi at the airport on arrival. Don't worry about Sichuan dialect, my Mandarin is a lot less fluent than yours and I could understand well enough and be understood. Just remember that the Sichuanese pronounce both "s" and "sh" like "s" so make sure you either write down or use Chinese hand number signs to coordinate whether you're talking about "si" (4) or "shi" (10). Heh-heh. Last year I got a taxi from Chuanzhusi (town near the airport) to Jiuzhaigou/Pengfeng for RMB 150, so I'd say RMB 400 is almost an unbelievable price to pay for a 7-ish hour day that includes airport - Huanglong (wait) - over to Jiuzhaigou/Pengfeng. These days I'd be expecting more in the RMB 500-600 range for the total.

Edited: 03 March 2013, 16:12
San Diego...
Level Contributor
15 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Keep a Taxi for a Day

Hello everyone,

I thought this thread was dead. I am so glad it is back .alive! Thanks everyone for the posts.

I made my trip to JZG and Huanglong in June 2012 (see my review for JZG posted in July 2012, which received 20+ helpful votes). I booked a car package from ctrip.com for RMB900. I think it was a great deal! the package includes airport to Huanglong, then from Huanglong to hotel in JZG (day 1), transportation between hotel and JZG park (day 2 & 3), and hotel back to the airport (day 4). I highly recommend this package. The car is in great condition (Toyota Rav 4). The driver was great!

The driver will try to sell you something, because he will not make much money otherwise. We bought the show tickets (Zang Mi or Tibetan Mystery) from him for RMB 150 each ticket, and dinner show at a Tibetan family. He will take you to the show free of charge, of course. You do not have to buy anything from him, but w/o any entertainment evenings will be a little boring. .

You probably will pay a premium if you try to hire a taxi at the airport, because there are no other options. All the drivers work together. Frankly, RMB 500~600 for a 3-hour driver is a reasonable amount, but the process of negotiating and the concern of getting ripped off really sucks!