We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus journey from chengdu to jiuzhaigou

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
53 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Bus journey from chengdu to jiuzhaigou

How long is the journey? Is it safe to travel by bus knowing the route of the expressway is winding around the hillside? How many seater in a bus? Thanks

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
10,989 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus journey from chengdu to jiuzhaigou

Currently, 8 hours though on some days, can stretch longer if road construction equipment happens to be working on it. Only the Chengdu-Dujiangyan part is on expressway though this is being extended farther over the next couple of years. It's pretty safe although rainy season (summer) is a bit dicier because of loose rocks coming down. And in winter, subject to some snow as you get into the hills.

Just make sure you take a daytime bus. The nicest buses are big coaches, around 36 seats I think. Cost per seat about RMB 145. On journeys like this, I purchase two seats for myself so I have more space and can put my daypack/valuables next to me. Bigger luggage can go in the compartment below. The bus will stop for a quick lunch break and also two additional comfort breaks. Take snacks and water with you though. It's actually a pretty nice and scenic ride.

Edited: 18 November 2012, 06:39
Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus journey from chengdu to jiuzhaigou

Road is fairly good, Tickets are mostly between 143-147 RMB (2 for insurance) this year, time is 9-10 hrs if no much rain or landslid or snow (visit JZG in autum to possibally avoid these problem). Generally speaking riding with bus in mountains is not safe, although they are professional drivers shuttling years between CD-ZJG. I don't like riding in mountains.

Edited: 18 November 2012, 09:08
Newcastle Australia
Level Contributor
453 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus journey from chengdu to jiuzhaigou

We did the road trip in September 2012. It took 10 and a half hours due to a couple of sections held up by road works. We did not think the road was dangerous it is just you have to get used to the driver overtaking and being on the wrong side of the road most of the time. Other than that we enjoyed the trip. I would suggest you take your own food and drink. The bus does have rest stops every two hours. Toilets at the stops were generally clean on the day we travelled. The women's was communal with just a trench through the floor which is something you need to be aware of if privacy is an issue.

We are glad we did this trip but we were happy when we got to Chengdu.

Mentioned in this post
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Guilin, China
Level Contributor
206 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus journey from chengdu to jiuzhaigou

The road condition is not very good during the rainy season. The rainy season may cause so many potential dangers of it. While other time will be fine to try it if you are budget on the transport costing.

I am not get used of taking this long time bus. Cause me very tired after it. Anyway, just according to my condition. If you accept the long-time bus on the mountainous road, it will be a good way to save the costing, cause the air fare betwee CD - JZG is alway not in a good discount.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus journey from chengdu to jiuzhaigou

If you have time constraints and can afford it, I recommend flying from Chengdu to Huanglong and reverse. The flight is only 45 mins compared to 8-10hrs in a coach.

Mentioned in this post
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
10,989 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus journey from chengdu to jiuzhaigou

#5 true, and most tourists do exactly this and fly. But when the cost of an air ticket one-way is usually RMB 1000+, and the bus only RMB 145....well, you can see where travelers with longer time frames and thin wallets would be willing to do the bus.

Some ground travelers ease the trip by stopping for a night in Songpan to look around or do some horse riding, or just rest up after an afternoon at Huanglong Park. That makes the bus journey to Chengdu quite a bit shorter. It's illustrative to note that the journey from Jiuzhaigou Park to Jiuzhaigou-Huanglong airport (at Chuanzhusi not too far from Songpan) is 1.5 hours, and is the exact same road and initial 1.5 hours of the full bus journey to Chengdu. So the main difference is the 6 to 6.5 hours after that.

Mentioned in this post
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus journey from chengdu to jiuzhaigou

kvchina, even if we had the time, we prefer to fly as we can't stand long trips whether by cars, trains or flights. However, no choice if we had to fly internationally for 9hrs+ in the first place! If only we had time travel!

Your advice is great for those who have a longer time frame and don't have our kind of aversions! Jiuzhaigou is one of our best and memorable scenery trips for China! Everyone raved about Guilin but we preferred to see Jiuzhaigou first. Is Juizhaigou better than Guilin in terms of scenery?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
10,989 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus journey from chengdu to jiuzhaigou

#7 we don't need to get into a debate here. You're the one who chimed in about flying and what you said is all true and logical. However, the topic of this thread was bus trip between the two locations. I'm sure the original poster is already aware of flight options and the upside of speed and comfort vs downside of expense.

There is another situation where road travel may be more logical, though I'm not saying it applies to this poster: groups. In recent months, I have seen a number of posts from (and received several PM's from) posters needing to move 4, 6, 8 people between Chengdu and JZG. Try pricing out the plane option for 8 people in/out of JZG! If you have enough people in the party, then having a private minibus and driver starts to become the preferred option over flight or public bus, but the road situation is essentially the same whether public or private vehicle....except you can choose your own intermediate pitstops.

Mentioned in this post
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
9. Re: Bus journey from chengdu to jiuzhaigou

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 05:15