We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jiuzhaigou in end November

Which Jiuzhaigou County hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Jiuzhaigou in end November

I am looking at 26-28/November to JZG, to experience snow fall.

My sector is SIN-CTU-JZH-PEK-SIN. From JZH-PEK (Beijing) need to transit at Chengdu as there is no direct flight to Beijing during this period. However, to fly during winter, my concern is flight delay. Is there high possibility of flight delay in end Nov? What happen if I miss my connecting flight to Beijing? When I try to book, it shows connecting time of 1 hour only.

My original plan was to visit JZG in mid-Oct but would like to have an experience of the white scenery instead.

Would appreciate if someone could share their Nov trip to JZG.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jiuzhaigou in end November

There is no snow at all at the end of November when you visit Jiuzhaigou.It is not the best time to go there,but anyway you will enjoy discount of both the entry tix and flight tix.

Why not fly from Jiuzhaigou to Xi'an for your connecting flight to Beijing.Generally speaking,it is cheaper to fly to Xi'an than Chengdu.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jiuzhaigou in end November

Snow happens as early as in Octorber there. But i think the weather by end Nov is still not yet able to ensure you will have view of a white world. I can snow also can not during your short visit. By the same time of last year it just snowed, but not in 2011.

Check if you can fly to Xian before noon. Then you can change to Beijing. Worst flights delay usually happen by Winter-early Spring there. I would finish Jiuzhaigou visit and fly to Xian 2 days a head of flying home from Beijing.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,598 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jiuzhaigou in end November

A one hour connection in CTU is not a good idea, very risky. Another concern is PEK, which in November and early December is prone to heavy fog which can shut the airport for hours at a time and cause severe delays. I never recommend scheduling an international departure from PEK on the same day you are trying to fly in domestically; better to plan for an overnight in Beijing. If you will be sightseeing for a few days in Beijing, no problem. But I would still try to do what #2 suggests and fly JZH-XIY (Xi'an) rather than Chengdu. Then you'd have three options: 1) flying, or perhaps better yet, 2) taking daytime bullet train or 3) overnight standard train/sleeper between Xi'an and Beijing. Rail schedule is much more reliable than flight schedule this time of year, as Xi'an can also be foggy in November.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jiuzhaigou in end November

Jiuzhai National Park helds Ice and Snow Festival in middle January each year.In other words,you'd better pay a visit there in January rather than late November to guarantee that you will be able to enjoy a snow fairyland scenery.I went to Jiuzhaigou in December,but I failed to see the amazing snow world.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jiuzhaigou in end November

Thanks for all the feedback.

I am en-routing to Beijing for 2 nights before returning to Singapore. However, there is no direct flight from JZH to PEK during end-Nov. If my date is mid-Oct, I will have no problem with this route, JZH-PEK. Maybe the direct flight is not yet open for booking for Nov. Ok, I think I'd better not take the risk of 1hour connecting flight JZG-CTU-PEK. Worst scenario is I will just travel to JZH and CTU, not going to Beijing.

I was in Beijing from mid-Nov to early-Dec, 2008. It snowed before I went, rooftop blanketed with snow. When I was there, it stopped completely until I left. Last year, my neighbour went to JZH end-Nov, it was a white scenery, very marvellous. So, I am contemplating to travel there this end-Nov. Maybe, it will not snow or not yet until I am out of JZG, no fate with the snow. Probably will try my luck again this year.

January will be too cold and busy to travel, not school holiday.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,598 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jiuzhaigou in end November

None of us can know for certain if Jiuzhaigou or Beijing will have snow in November during your visit, maybe they will, maybe not. If you were just trying to get to Beijing for 2 days to see snow, I wouldn't bother. Just omit it from your plans and spend longer in JZG or Chengdu area, and return to Singapore from Chengdu.

If you want to increase your chances of seeing snow, then traveling south of Chengdu to the Hailuogou Glacier might be another option. But that would be about a 3-day round trip including ground travel from/to Chengdu.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jiuzhaigou in end November

It is so nice to visit Hailuogou Glacier in winter.You can enjoy the hot spring,the amazing sunrise of Mt Minya Konka,and snow scenery.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jiuzhaigou in end November

Hailuogou is new to me. If I want to include this in my trip, JZG and Chengdu, how should I arrange and where should I head to first? Is domestic flight possible?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,598 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jiuzhaigou in end November

Two different directions out of Chengdu so you'll need to use Chengdu as a hub. You already know about flights to JZH. There is no airport for Hailuogou area--you'll have to use road transport and it is a long bus trip. However, if you have time and break up the journey in Ya'an, you can see the Bifengxia panda reserve and also a tea plantation there and spend night. Then continue on next day to Moxi for Hailuogou, spend 1/2 of that day and the next before returning to Chengdu. You really need a full week to get all this in, including the inbetween travel. It really doesn't matter which one you go to first, just depends on your arrival and departure schedule into the area.

10. Re: Jiuzhaigou in end November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 05:15