We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which way to Giant Buddha

Nebraska
Level Contributor
97 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
Which way to Giant Buddha

I'd like some opinions on which way to view the Giant Buddha is better. On foot down the stairs or by cruise on the river.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which way to Giant Buddha

I'v been there in 2010, and I suggest you view the Giant Buddha cruise on the river.

For it's so big and you can't see it clearly on the foot of the Buddha,there isn't much space.have a good time!

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which way to Giant Buddha

It takes 15 minutes to do the boat journey to see the giant buddha with a panaramic view.It takes 1.5 to 2 hours to get into Giant Buddha park,climb up hill,get down to the foot of the statue and finish all by getting through a temple and walking down the hill. You will get more fun by getting into the park.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which way to Giant Buddha

Cruise is best for elderly for the steep walkway, young people would rather climb.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which way to Giant Buddha

The walkway on right hand of Giant Buddha is almost perpendicular. Not fit for elderly and people having acrophobia.

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which way to Giant Buddha

When you enter the park are you then at level with the head of the statue or the foot? I mean do you need to climb stairs to get to the head of the statue (how many?) and then stairs down to the foot of the statue to do the boat journey?

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which way to Giant Buddha

You need to first walk up to the Buddha head. It's a short leisure stepping. Then you could choose to stay with the head top or stairs down to the foot by side of Buddha's right hand then stairs by left side back to the top. The stair down-up is challenging for elderly and folks with knee problem and acrophobia but you can feel the majesty of the Buddha and get great view to the river. It's very spectacular.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
97 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which way to Giant Buddha

TraeholtDK, my understanding is that you either walk the park as OrientalRed described OR view from the river by boat. From my reading it sounds as if the boat dock is on the opposite side of the river from the park. If one wanted to view the Buddha both ways, how much time would be needed? Do the ferries from Leshan port to the park provide a view of the Buddha?

8. Re: Which way to Giant Buddha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2016, 14:17