We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Turpan?

California
Level Contributor
69 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Turpan?

Hi, I see that Turpan is shown on the China rail map, but I can't find any connections. I was looking to take a train to Turpan from Dunhuang, or possibly Urumqi - where is the nearest train station?

Also, if I fly into Urumgi, how much should a taxi or driver cost for a one-way trip to Turpan?

Thanks.

4 replies to this topic
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Turpan?

i looked on the app "china trains" and there are plenty of trains for turpan to urumqi, but nothing for turpan to dunhuang.

goto this site http://www.travelchinaguide.com/ for more information about where the train stations are located in each city

Edited: 17 July 2014, 21:53
Urumqi, China
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Turpan?

Hi ,

Turpan train station also called " Daheyan" , located north west of Turpan city , its 54kms and takes nearly 1 hour to get there from Turpan city . only the rail road to connect to Dunhuang and other province of China , you can take a train to Dunhuang from Urumqi but its pass through Turpan trains station .

Probarbly taxi charge different price ,its depends on your arrival time .(morning/ noon/ evening / night)

Good luck !

Edited: 18 July 2014, 14:08
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,935 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Turpan?

In train schedules, Turpan is called "Turpan" even though the station itself is located in Daheyan village, so look under "Turpan." The problem is the other end. Right now, if you want to take a train from Dunhuang to Turpan/Urumqi (or vice versa), the trains don't go to the Dunhuang in-city rail station, they go to an outpost station called "Liuyuan" which is about a 2-hour drive north of Dunhuang city itself. You need to search the schedules for "Liuyuan" not "Dunhuang." Typical way for travelers to get between Dunhuang and Liuyuan station is a taxi, shared taxi, or minibus.

Dunhuang station in the city is currently useable for eastbound trains heading to Jiayuguan or Lanzhou, or for westbound trains from those more easterly places into Dunhuang, though there aren't that many services on offer.

Edited: 18 July 2014, 14:15
4. Re: Train to Turpan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 03:35

Reply to: Train to Turpan?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Turpan