We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Bayanbulak Grassland by Public Transport

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Topic
Travelling to Bayanbulak Grassland by Public Transport

Hi all,

May I know how we can get from Urumqi to Bayanbulak Grassland by public transport?

Or from Yining to Bayanbulak Grassland by public transport?

Ive tried looking at Lonely Planet and online websites but they don't list the bus numbers and time of travel in detail! Kindly advise, thank you!

3 replies to this topic
KS
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Bayanbulak Grassland by Public Transport

Hi there,

There is no bus from Urumqi or Yining to Bayinbulak grassland, but there is bus from Korla city to Bayinbulak, so you can take bus from Urumqi to Korla which takes around 6-7 hours, then take another bus from Korla to Bayinbulak, the bus departs at 10:00am Beijing time. Takes around 8 hours to get to Bayinbulak http://www.uighurtour.com/

I am afraid you have to get permit to get to Bayinbulak grassland

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Bayanbulak Grassland by Public Transport

The Grassland locates near the He Jing county.

From Urumqi, by long haul bus at 'Nanjiao' bus station. The departure time is 11:00 or by sleeper at the 'Nianzigou' bus station. The departure time is 21:00.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,834 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Bayanbulak Grassland by Public Transport

Bayanbulak for foreign passport holders is a restricted area, possible to visit but needs a permit. I'm not sure if you'll be sold a public bus ticket at all, or if you'll be sold one on presentation of a permit. Usually the few foreigners that make it to this area have some sort of guide/agent setup, who presumably deals with the official paperwork. Not sure if obtaining a permit can be a DIY process in Urumqi or Korla. I haven't yet heard of anybody trying it out at either city's PSB.

Reply to: Travelling to Bayanbulak Grassland by Public Transport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yining
More Yining Topics