We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jade Dragon Snow Mountain in May

Which Lijiang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Asia
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Jade Dragon Snow Mountain in May

Hi Hi

I am planning to go to Lijiang and Shangri La in May. Could someone advise on whether I should go to Jade Dragon Snow Mountain?? Will it be worth going in May??

Thanks!!!

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jade Dragon Snow Mountain in May

I think it is a kind of personal taste. Do you like to climb the mountains, or take the cable car up and enjoy the panoramic views, or see some tourist-only cultural shows? If your answer is a yes, you could go!

The Jade Dragon Snow Mountain is about 10 miles away from Lijiang Old Town. If you are traveling on your own, you need to get the cable car tickets after 12:00pm at the Old Town on the previous day to ensure that you can go up the mountain. Also if you are interested in watch a show, there is a cultural show demonstrating the traditions and lifestyles of the Naxi, Yi and Bai peoples of the area. The show takes place inside Jade Dragon Snow Mountain Park at about 10,500 feet in an outdoor theater specifically designed to showcase the mountain which is used as a backdrop. However, this show does not have a plot and is specifically designed for tourists.

Also be sure to get your car ready to return to Lijiang in the evening...

If you have 2-3 more days, I would recommend you to go to the Meili mountain from Shangri-La, which features more authentic experience. You may hike 6 hours to the exclusive Yubeng village or choose to go to see the glaciers through another route. In addition, a golden sunrise from the Feilaisi temple is another must-see if you could go there.

Good luck!

WildChina

Edited: 20 January 2010, 19:30
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jade Dragon Snow Mountain in May

wild china is correct about the show, getting your tickets earlier than on the day and meili.

In late May, in my experience, the snow has mostly gone except for the top. you get a bare granite looking peak plus a glacier - if you have the time it is well worth a look. if you are there, why not is my motto.

Usa
Level Contributor
245 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jade Dragon Snow Mountain in May

May is a lovely time to visit this region because the flowers are starting to bloom and the weather is moderate. Jade Dragon Snow Mt. is just one nice very touristy attraction to see. How much time time do you have, that is the question, and what are your interests?

In one week, if you are interested more in scenery than shopping, get out of Lijiang, head east to amazing Tiger Leaping Gorge on the Yangste, through Walnut Grove, Haba village, Baishuitai limestone terraces, to Shangri La, Deqin, Meili Mt, sunrise from Feilaisi, over the mountains to the Mekong, down the spectacular gorge to Chizhong, Weixi, and back to Lijiang along the Yangste again. This is amazing trip, can be done in a week! If you are into camping/hiking, you might want to linger at Haba Mountain for a great trek.

I had a great guide in for that area - let me know if you want more into. Can be reached at stairclimber22@gmail.com

Asia
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jade Dragon Snow Mountain in May

Thanks for your replies!! I am intending to to the region for 8 days.. intention is to cover just LIjiang and Shangri la:) Not sure if we can cover so many places in 8 days and hence hoping to zoom in on the must see!

I am more for scenery as I have heard that Lijiang and Shangri la are beautiful places:) As for jade dragon snow mountain, it seems a really famous tourist attraction but just wondering if it is indeed worth a visit given that by May, there shouldnt be much snow left?....

hope you could help to suggest the mUST See in Lijiang and Shangri la! thanks!!

Sichuan
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jade Dragon Snow Mountain in May

8 days is more than enough for Shangri-La and Lijiang. You could comfortably see everything in both places in 3 days each, and only 2 each are really necessary. The Tiger Leaping Gorge trek, ancient Shaxi town along the tea-horse trade route with Tibet, and Shibao Stone Village are excellent places off the beaten track to combine with Lijiang and Shangri-La. Further afield Meili Mountain near Deqin, Lugu Lake, or the ancient city of Dali could also be combined with a trip to Lijiang and Shangri-La.

Usa
Level Contributor
245 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jade Dragon Snow Mountain in May

Eight days is enough for the itinerary I described, but you would need to be pretty efficient. Lijiang and ShangriLa are tourist towns, not really much to see in the towns themselves. You could easily do the first part of the route from Lijiang through Tiger Leaping Gorge, Walnut Grove, up to Shangri La and Deqin to see the mountains up there in eight days without rushing at all, and still spending two days in Lijiang - taking a look at Jade Dragon Mt and the other highlights in the immediate area, and one day in Shangri La itself really is plenty.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jade Dragon Snow Mountain in May

stair climber - i like your reports and you must be a prose writer. really eloquent!

but o think you may wear some very heavily rose coloured glasses. wild flowers, month of May ?? yeah just starting.

moderate weather is subjective -- i thought in may/june in there was like winter in melbourne. my shangainese partner also thought it was cold.

Asia
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jade Dragon Snow Mountain in May

Thanks for all your replies! It's very helpful!!

Usa
Level Contributor
245 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jade Dragon Snow Mountain in May

Thanks for the comment on my writing Skeggles! I just try to be clear and not too dull. Rose colored glasses - why the hell not? But you are correct - weather is subjective. I live in south Florida, USA, and cool weather feels pretty good sometimes!

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jade Dragon Snow Mountain in May

Again, it's totally a personal taste. If you likes adventure tourism, or community based tourism, you can definitely go to the Meli mountain and then go deep into the Yubeng village. However, if this is not your top priority, why not just stay in Dali, Lijiang and Shangri-La. Compared to people going to Beijing, Xian, Shanghai and Guilin, you are already an experience-oriented traveler. You may enjoy yourself a lot in Yunnan province!

Since you will have 8 days in Yunnan, I would recommend you to take about a day going to the Jade Dragon Mountain.

WildChina