We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tiger Leaping Gorge half day trek doable?

singapore
Level Contributor
35 posts
376 reviews
Save Topic
Tiger Leaping Gorge half day trek doable?

Hi all,

we intend to hire a car and guide and drive along the low road of Tiger leaping gorge and do a half-day trek (5-6hours) from the low road up to Tea Horse Trade Guest House, pass the 24 bends and walk pass the Naxi Family Guesthouse before ending in the entrance to the park at Qiaotou. Is this route doable for 5-6 hours? Is it easy for cars to access the low roads in June up to the 11 km marker?

Appreciate your comments or are open for suggestion for other half day hikes around this area.

Best regards

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tiger Leaping Gorge half day trek doable?

The low road is currently under construction. There is some traffic along it, but not much. If it is open, the walk you are intending would probably take longer than 5-6 hours (you have to walk up to Tea Horse - I'm not sure how you can do that or how long it will take).Going the other way, getting from Qiaotou to Tea Horse took me around 5-6 hours.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,527 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tiger Leaping Gorge half day trek doable?

Qiaotou to Tea Horse also took us most of a day (after driving up from Lijiang). You would be adding an enormous direct gain in altitude (again, I didn't know there was a direct track up to Tea Horse - are you sure about that?). Some people find the 24 bends too much at that altitude but you'd be going much steeper.

yunnan
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tiger Leaping Gorge half day trek doable?

Hi, i suggest you arrange two days for trekking the Tiger Leaping Gorge :

Day 1: Qiatuo ---Naxi Family Guesthouse ---24 bends ---Halfway Guesthouse ( overnight in Halfway , it will take you 5---6 hours )

Day 2: Halfway ---Middle Groge ( trekking the middle gorge for 3---4 hours to Walnut Garden village , and then walk 1 hours to ferry , from there pass river by boat , and then walk to Daju town , from there catch the car or bus to Lijiang , it will take you 2 hours from Daju to Lijiang )

I hope this trip is helpful for you .

Lijiang,Yunnan
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tiger Leaping Gorge half day trek doable?

Hey! if you don't have enough time to do trekking in gorge for two days.

Lijiang driving about 2.5hours to Qiaotou, then hiking about 5~6hours to Halfway guesthouse, then from there driving back to Lijiang.

You also can do like you planed, but we are not sure whether you can drive down from Tea horse guesthouse( if rains too much), if sunny will be fine.

Anything needs help, please feel free to contact with me!

singapore
Level Contributor
35 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tiger Leaping Gorge half day trek doable?

Thanks a lot everyone. I seems that this route is not feasible for half a day. If that is the case, is it possible to walk from Qiaotou at the high road all the way to Naxi Guesthouse and from there walk down to the low road and from there proceed to the carpark near the tiger leaping stone where they disgorge (no pun intended) the local tourists? Is this doable? and is the road open all the way to this carpark?

Best regards

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tiger Leaping Gorge half day trek doable?

The lower road is currently under construction. This means blasting and lots of dust. I would take a taxi or tour to the Lijiang side of the gorge and walk on the constructed walkway above the river.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tiger Leaping Gorge half day trek doable?

Hello,

Please note that June is the rainy season. Thus, this route is doable, though it will be wet and muddy.

You should disembark the vehicle at 11km and walk 1 hour uphill to the Tea Horse Trade Guest House. We do not recommend attempting to drive to 13km, as the drive is very steep, bumpy and dangerous.

The half day hike usually takes approximately 5- 6 hours, but during the rainy season you should allow extra 1-2 hours to be safe.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Best,

WildChina

8. Re: Tiger Leaping Gorge half day trek doable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2010, 05:16