We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road from Lijiang to Shangri La

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Road from Lijiang to Shangri La

Is it possible to travel from Lijiang to Shangri La and stop by and visit both the Tiger Leaping Gorge and Baishuitai on the way there? Will it be too rush to do all these in one day or its manageable? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Lijiang
Lijiang
Yunnan, China
Asia
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road from Lijiang to Shangri La

Hi

I just came back from my Lijiang/Shangri La trip. The journey by bus from Lijiang to Shangri la takes approximately 3.5 hours. Journey by bus from Lijiang to Tiger leaping gorge is approximately 2 hours. You can either go to Tiger leaping gorge and then straight to shangri la to stay for the night. Spend 1 or 2 days in shangri la...

If not ,for us (as we did not want a too hectic day) we went to Tiger leaping gorge and back to Lijiang for the night. Toured around lijiang for the next day. Then went to shangri la for another 2 days subsequently.. You will need to spend at least 1 full day in shangri la where you can explore the Potatco National Park :) a nice place to go...

Mentioned in this post
Lijiang
Lijiang
Yunnan, China
Lijiang,Yunnan
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road from Lijiang to Shangri La

I am not sure when you will like to do this kind of trip. now there is road construction for Tiger Leaping gorge area, so sometimes the road was closed. it is impossible for you to Baishui Tai through Tiger Leaping Gorge. The road construction will be last another at least one month.

So maybe you can let me know when will you like to come.

If the road is opened, you can driving throught the gorge area to visit Baishui Tai, then up to Shangri-La, it costs about 7 hours. but if you are also interested in visiting Putacuo National Park, you can stay one night in Baishui Tai, next day continue to Shangri-La, on the way visit the park.

Any questions you also can email me: yunnan.ecotours@gmail.com

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road from Lijiang to Shangri La

Hi.

Thanks for your reply.

I am thinking of going in mid july around the 14th - 18th period.

Anyone knows if the road is open already by then? Thanks!

Cheers!

Lijiang,Yunnan
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road from Lijiang to Shangri La

I am sorry , for July, I don't think I can tell you the road condition about the Tiger Leaping gorge area now. during middle of July, maybe most of road construction will be almost done.

Lijiang
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road from Lijiang to Shangri La

Hi,

I am afraid July is impossible to visit the Baishuitai. The rode was closed. The road will open on August. But you can visit the Tiger Leaping Gorge on the way from Lijiang to Shangri La.

Mentioned in this post
Lijiang
Lijiang
Yunnan, China
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,783 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road from Lijiang to Shangri La

Yes it will be too rushed. You can stop on the way from Lijiang to Shangrila to check out TLG. There is a view point but you are best to pick one or the other if you have limited time.

The journey between Lijiang & Shangrila takes a full on day - you leave at first light in the morning & don't return to Lijiang until early evening.

If you have time split it into different days. If you combine it it will be way too much!

Edited: 04 June 2010, 05:57
Mentioned in this post
Lijiang
Lijiang
Yunnan, China
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road from Lijiang to Shangri La

Hi all,

Thanks for your reply.

I will go to tiger leaping gorge then to shangrila and stay there for a few nites then go to baishuitai from there.

I think that would be more enjoyable.

Cheers!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road from Lijiang to Shangri La

i just came back from shangri-la. the road condition between shangri-la and lijiang is more or less the same as in june. in other words, u could only visit the tiger leaping gorge on your journey to shangri-la. btw, lijiang ancient town turned so touristy. try to explore the nearby less popular towns such as baisha (white sands) if u would like to go for a touch of real living. btw, roads north to shangri-la are also under construction. according to the locals, the roads will be fixed before oct this year.

9. Re: Road from Lijiang to Shangri La

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 June 2010, 07:05
10. Re: Road from Lijiang to Shangri La

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Lijiang