We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tiger Leaping Gorge - Sky Ladder

Which Lijiang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
YFW
Canada
Level Contributor
151 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tiger Leaping Gorge - Sky Ladder

Our group is planning on trekking the TLG trail in 2 days in early March. There is a part called the "Sky Ladder" which I find very scary.

I hike almost every weekend in the local mountains and are reasonably fit.

I have been doing quite a bit of research on the TLG. I think I can do the trail other than the "Sky Ladder" part.

Here are my questions:

1. Can I skip the "Sky ladder" and still do the hike. Or is there an alternative route and we still can finish the trail?

2. for a normal fit person, how long does it take to do the "28 bends"? The reason I am asking is I want to get an idea of how long it is. The way I see it is if it is steep, we just have to take more breaks. Am I thinking right? Is it really that difficult?

3. what is the narrowest part of the trail? I read somewhere that the narrowest part is at least 3 meters, and somewhere said about 1 foot?

Thanks.

Lijiang,Yunnan
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tiger Leaping Gorge - Sky Ladder

March is kind of nice time to do hiking in Tiger Leaping Gorge.

As for your questions:

1) of course, you can skip the Sky Ladder" part and do others; normally if you only two days, most of our customers didn't do the Sky Ladder" part. after hiking down to Tina's, driving back to Lijiang.

2) most people do it around 1hour from the at the foot of 28bends to top; yes, you can do more breaks;

3) for the hiking trail, it is hard for me to tell how wide or narrow, but not very dangerous. if you need, I can prodive some pictures from there to you!

australia
Level Contributor
811 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tiger Leaping Gorge - Sky Ladder

Hi

1 Dont have to do the sky ladder . You can go down to the rock and back quite easily

2. Yes it is about 1 hour or so to do the 128 bends , feels like that many anyway, It is steep and is more or less a zig zag climb and it is hard work and just when you think you have made it you realize you have quite a way to go.

I did it when I was 63 dodgy arithic knees and I was walking with an adjustable walking stick

3. There are some parts of the walk which are extremely narrow , a bit more than a body width at the most and its bush and oblivion below you.

Whenever you stop for photos at some points , look above you , many many boulders waiting for the moment to come down. Just something to be aware of

Cheers and yes its fabulous , so much variation in the flora and geography

Lijiang
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tiger Leaping Gorge - Sky Ladder

ad. 3...

In my opinion there is not one part if the trail that is so narrow that you cannot pass another person. Apart from the two or three points where you walk between a cliff face and a boulder that dropped there a thousand years ago, I would say the path is always at least a meter and a half wide, probably even two meters...

4. Re: Tiger Leaping Gorge - Sky Ladder

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2011, 06:27