We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on 10 days itinerary

Which Lijiang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
KL
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback on 10 days itinerary

I have 10 days to visit Yunnan area, tentative date is mid till end of October. Main interest is scenery and culture.

Skeleton itinerary as below:

Day 1 - KL to Guangzhou (arrive late evening)

Day 2 - Guangzhou to Kunming (arrive by noon)

Day 3 till Day 8 - TBC

Day 9 - Kunming to Guangzhou (arrive late evening)

Day 10 - Guangzhou to KL (depart at night most probably 8pm)

Places that I plan to cover include (may have other places to add on later):

a) Tiger Leaping Gorge - 2 full days hiking

b) Lijiang (cover old town, Black Dragon Pool, Jade Dragon Snow Mountain)

c) Dali

Assuming we only fly back to Guangzhou from Kunming taking the earliest flight available to catch our flight to Kuala Lumpur, we might have 1 full day otherwise we will only have 1/2 day to spare. We do not mind taking flight (if the price is super cheap) otherwise overnight train to maximise the time we have in Yunnan.

Questions:

a) Do we have sufficient time to cover the above-mentioned places?

b) Can we still add in other places to visit during the period we are there preferably off-beaten or not so touristy (even though I think it may not be possible) and what will be the recommendations?

c) Is Oct consider a peak season to visit Lijiang, Dali & TLG?

d) Is it sufficient by allocating 2 days to hike TLG (covering lower trail & upper trail - up to walnut grove)

e) What kind of weather should we be expecting - cool, sunny with blue skies?

f) Jade Dragon Snow Mountain - We are fine if it is not worth to visit but can capture nice pictures for far during our visit. Any input?

Edited: 21 September 2011, 03:55
Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback on 10 days itinerary

a) shall be enough.

b) probably add Shaxi? It's a little off the major road from Dali to Lijiang.

c) mid-later Oct. is peak time not any more.

d) when day time its sunny and warm (temperature can even to 20 c), but cold in night.

f) worth a visit since you will also see some villages like Baisha enroute. But if you have been any snow mountain before, it would be not very interesting.

For the weather i would like to paste a site for your reference:

php.weather.sina.com.cn/whd.php…

Lijiang,Yunnan
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback on 10 days itinerary

if the weather is not good, it is not worth to visit Jade Dragon Snow Mountain. because even on your trip to Tiger Leaping Gorge, you will get very nice views of Jade Dragon Snow Mountain.

KL
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback on 10 days itinerary

In order to maximise my time in Yunnan, is it better to fly back to Guangzhou via Lijiang or Kunming?

Or I should fly to Lijiang for both way?

Not really interested in Kunming apart from using it as transit since it is not a must to visit place based on travellers feedbacks.

Edited: 21 September 2011, 09:00
australia
Level Contributor
830 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback on 10 days itinerary

Hi Momow

Good to see you back on the road again

Time goes quick eh

Cheers

KL
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback on 10 days itinerary

Hi Sakya

Long time didn't see you here.

How are you doing??

I have planned trips to Jiuzaigou + Huanglong + Chengdu and Zhangjiajie + Fenghuang but have to shelved both trips for the time being. Hopefully this Yunnan trip will happen..;oD

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback on 10 days itinerary

It's better for time concern if you fly to Lijiang for both way. But if you are on budget. Using Kunming would save some money, since Guangzhou-Lijiang line is a typical tourist line.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feedback on 10 days itinerary

You should also include a visit to the Stone forest in Kunming. Weather will play a big part on what you can do or not so try to leave some flexibility in your itinerary.

Lijiang,Yunnan
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feedback on 10 days itinerary

If it's not necessary to stop Kunming, you can just do directly between Lijiang and Guangzhou!

KL
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feedback on 10 days itinerary

Budget and time are important to me. Will see if I can grab the cheapest price for Guangzhou-Lijiang flight.

Thanks all!!

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
456 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Feedback on 10 days itinerary

momow, you can also fly KL - Chengdu - Lijiang if you are not interested to visit Kunming. There are a good number of flights for the Chengdu - Lijiang route.