We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

re: Tiger Leaping Gorge for 60-yr old

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
re: Tiger Leaping Gorge for 60-yr old

My friend and I (both mid- to late-50s) are thinking of hiking TLG in late Oct. It seems that most people get a minivan in Lijiang to Qiaotao, hike to mid-gorge, overnight in a guesthouse there, and return to Qiaotao the next day. The hardest part is to pass through the 28 bends on the first day. Though we do do sports, we rarely hike, and so are a little worried about the 28 bends (once we hiked down the steep steps of Zhangjiajie from the top to the bottom for some 3 hours to avoid the cable car/bus queues, our legs became so soar the next day that we could do only half the planned hike the next day). We've been thinking of doing a tour with Sean's guesthouse which bypasses the 28 bends, but we've read some uncomplimentary reports concerning it, so we want to explore alternative options. Hence, our questions are:

1. Can we take the minivan from Lijiang directly to a mid-gorge guesthouse, hike around mid-gorge, overnight there, and then head back to Qiaotao the next day? This means we'll be hiking down the 28 bends instead of up.

2. Or are there ponies which we can hire from Qiaotao to take us to the top of the 28 bends?

Would be grateful for advice concerning the above.

Y China Tours
Sightseeing Tours
China Highlights Lijiang
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: re: Tiger Leaping Gorge for 60-yr old

Your plan is good I think, however I think it best to ascend rather than decend the 28 bends. Although quite strenuous if you go your own pace and take regular breaks (every 7 bends for example) you'll have no problem. The rest of the trek is quite easy in fact, until the decent, which is not as steep but can be slippy. My advice to you would be to rent, buy or manufacture walking poles which will help on these tough sections. Try Tea Horse Guest House as your half way destination and do the trek independently. Don't waste your money on organised tour or guide. All guesthouses have gorge maps and the trail is well sigjposted. Check out the comment from another 60+ gentleman who posted a couple of days ago. No bother to you

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: re: Tiger Leaping Gorge for 60-yr old

Your plan is good I think, however I think it best to ascend rather than decend the 28 bends. Although quite strenuous if you go your own pace and take regular breaks (every 7 bends for example) you'll have no problem. The rest of the trek is quite easy in fact, until the decent, which is not as steep but can be slippy. My advice to you would be to rent, buy or manufacture walking poles which will help on these tough sections. Try Tea Horse Guest House as your half way destination and do the trek independently. Don't waste your money on organised tour or guide. All guesthouses have gorge maps and the trail is well sigjposted. Check out the comment from another 60+ gentleman who posted a couple of days ago. No bother to you

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,526 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: re: Tiger Leaping Gorge for 60-yr old

I am in that age bracket and had no issue.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
10,149 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: re: Tiger Leaping Gorge for 60-yr old

No generalizations on 50-60-year olds. Some are very fit and others have troubles due to lack of fitness or other ailments. Usually though, it's a matter of taking your time and not rushing beyond your means. I'm pretty much in that age bracket and prefer starting at middle gorge and heading back to Qiaotou on the hike, per your idea. Yes, you can get a little horse for the Bends part--don't be too proud to do so if you feel the need, regardless of direction you end up taking.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 22:06
australia
Level Contributor
958 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: re: Tiger Leaping Gorge for 60-yr old

Hi

Some good advice here

I am also in that age bracket as well , and getting close to the other bracket as well , yikes.

I use a walking pole on hikes ,and definitely helps

There are horses which will carry you forever how long you want

The 28 bends can feel like 128 but as said just take your time and you will be fine

Apart from the bends it is a fairly undulating walk

Always look back so that you get a differnt perspective on the brilliant scenery.

The walk down to the tiger leaping rock can be difficult , but again take it easy . Its worth the effort.

It is always easier going up than coming down as you found out

Cheers

Edited: 10 September 2013, 22:08
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,526 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: re: Tiger Leaping Gorge for 60-yr old

It reminds me of the "sedan chairs" that I saw on Huangshan. I was tempted but had too much pride to get one as I am not 80 yet...

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: re: Tiger Leaping Gorge for 60-yr old

Thanks everybody for the advice.

Lijiang, China
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: re: Tiger Leaping Gorge for 60-yr old

Hi RLAU,

According to your experince, I would suggest you hire ponies from Qiaotou township.

Wish you good luck!

Foix, France
Level Contributor
11 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: re: Tiger Leaping Gorge for 60-yr old

There is an alternative- it is possible to follow the valley on the low road and then walk up a path that rejoins the upper path at the Tea Horse Inn. From there you can continue the walk

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: re: Tiger Leaping Gorge for 60-yr old

Many thanks.

Get answers to your questions about Lijiang