We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help needed to lower altitude sickness risk

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help needed to lower altitude sickness risk

Hi everyone,

We are planning a trip to Yunnan this January but all the talk about altitude sickness has me a little freaked out because I have athsma. Just hoping someone can help me with our itinerary so we don't get sick.

Chengdu - 2 days

Flight to Kunming - stay 2 nights

Bus to Dali - stay 2 nights

Bus to Lijiang - stay 2 nights

Trek tiger leaping gorge 2 nights

End up in Shangri-la - stay 2 nights

Flight to Guilin

Not sure if the flight from chengdu to kunming will result in altitude sickness or if the flight from shangri-la to guilin will, does anyone know if those flights are a bad idea?

If anyone has suggestions or comments on the itinerary I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much!

1. Re: Itinerary help needed to lower altitude sickness risk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 January 2014, 05:05
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,793 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help needed to lower altitude sickness risk

I think your original itinerary is fine. I would definitely fly from Chengdu to Kunming and proceed as you had planned in stages. Lijiang is high enough that I have heard of a few ultra-sensitive individuals (especially children) having issues but mostly if flying in rather than coming by land from Kunming or Dali. Guilin is lower than all these places in Yunnan and flying from Shangri-La to a lower altitiude will present no problems.

I'm not sure that you need 2 nights at TLG for acclimatization--from a human body standpoint it's pretty much the same altitude as Lijiang. I spent about 5 total days/nights in the Lijiang/Shaxi/TLG area before moving up by road to Shangri-La and had no problems with altitude not even headache. You may have to walk and climb steps a bit slower in Shangri-La since you'll get winded more quickly if you rush.

One positive thing for asthma sufferers is that air pollution in these parts of Yunnan tends to be minimal, so the aggravating air that you find in much of China changes to clean and fresh.

Edited: 01 January 2014, 00:38
Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help needed to lower altitude sickness risk

So far as I'm aware, having asthma per se does not increase your risk of altitude sickness. But I agree with your original itinerary as a sound approach.

This article might be of interest. As it points out, if your asthma is triggered by exertion or cold, you should be prepared for that and pace yourself, since clambering around in the north of Yunnan in January will involve both of those factors.

asthma.org.uk/knowledge-bank-living-with-ast…

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
572 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help needed to lower altitude sickness risk

Thought Lijiang is not high enough for altitude sickness? But Dali and Shangri-La would be.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,793 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help needed to lower altitude sickness risk

Kunming 1900 m

Dali 2000 m

Lijiang 2400 m

Shangri-La 3200 m

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help needed to lower altitude sickness risk

The average altitude of Shangrila is over 3200km. I think it won't be a problem if you fly from Shangrila to Guilin. Because you are flying from a higher altitude to a lower altitude. However, I wonder if there is a direct flight from Shangrila to Guilin. Maybe you have to transfer in Kunming.

7. Re: Itinerary help needed to lower altitude sickness risk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 07:19