We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cavtat too english?

Manchester
Level Contributor
323 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Cavtat too english?

My husband and I are wanting to visit Croatia but can't decide on where to stay.

We want to visit Dubrovnik, if not sty there, read about Cavtat, but is it too much of a British resort?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
50,064 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cavtat too english?

I have been to many places in Croatia and have never thought that any place was British, German, Norwegian or American. If you want to see Dubrovnik then Cavtat would be a great place to stay and don't worry about who will be there with you.

Msida, Malta
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cavtat too english?

There are no "British" resorts anywhere in Croatia - do not know where you heard this - Croatia has visitors from all over the world and you will not see signs offering only English food as you do in Spain, Portugal etc

Have a good trip !

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,386 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cavtat too english?

I agree with ther previous posts. Have a look at my trip report and photographs which will hopefully help:-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g295371-i1555-k376…

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cavtat too english?

I have to agree with all the above. Cavtat is lovely and an ideal place to visit Dubrovnik either by car, bus or boat.

The only place you will find a concentration of one set of nationals i.e. Italians and that's in Istria in the North of the country. This is because of the close proximity of the two countries. Anyway a long way from Dalmatia.

Manchester
Level Contributor
323 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cavtat too english?

But is it a quiet resort? Without a shingle or sandy beach? Is Lapad more exciting?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
50,064 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cavtat too english?

Basically Lapad is Dubrovnik so it will be much more lively.

Manchester
Level Contributor
323 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cavtat too english?

Is Cavtat too quiet then?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cavtat too english?

I think it's more Irish than British...

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cavtat too english?

Cavtat isn't too quiet - just more beachy rather than city. I have never been anywhere in Croatia and been surrounded by Brits abroad - Italians, Germans, Austrians, Hungarians, various Scandinavians, Poles, Romanians, Americans, Australians, Russians, Irish and others. What you do find is that English ends up being the common language very often if there are a group of people of different nationalities.

10. Re: Cavtat too english?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 17:40
Get answers to your questions about Cavtat