We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are card payments widely accepted?

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Are card payments widely accepted?

This will be our first trip to Croatia and I wondered if credit cards are widely accepted in restaurants, supermarkets etc.?

With our new credit card we get commission free purchases abroad and earn cashback so I'm thinking of using it for the majoirty of our meals and food shopping in Cavtat later this year.

Thanks

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,780 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are card payments widely accepted?

Supermarkets are fine, not all restaurants take them in my experience.

Durham
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are card payments widely accepted?

Although you can use credit cards widely (not quite as widely as in the UK) I don't think you'd be particularly popular if you used a credit card for small amounts.

Korcula Island...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are card payments widely accepted?

As Jude said not all restaurants will accept credit cards so make sure you ask in advance. I found all the grocery stores I have used do accept credit cards. At least the bigger grocery stores.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are card payments widely accepted?

Thank you all for the quick replies. We're self catering so I was thinking to use it for our food shopping and most evening meals, not in bars etc so that sounds perfect.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,780 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are card payments widely accepted?

Just check with the restaurants in advance.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are card payments widely accepted?

Will do

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are card payments widely accepted?

All supermarkets like Pemo or Lidel or Konzum etc will take credit cards. Most restaurants will, the smaller cafes might not - which is the same around the world..

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
41,027 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are card payments widely accepted?

In our experience most restaurants will take credit cards but not all. The smaller cafes usually do not, as stated above. We always take kuna out of an ATM to use when a restaurant doesn't accept cards.

9. Re: Are card payments widely accepted?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Cavtat