We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip Dubrovnik

Herts
Level Contributor
310 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip Dubrovnik

We are staying in Cavtat from 30/07 for a week and plan to use our limited time wisely. We plan on taking the boat over to Dubrovnik as early as I can mobilise teenage boys and walking the city walls, lunch ,St laurence fort, a walk around the town and end up on the cable car and museum ,getting the bus back to Cavtat .Does this sound ok for a day trip? Do i get tickets for the wall at Ploce or Pile bearing in mind my planned itiniery. Have visited on a city break with a friend previously based at the Hilton in Pile so am doing things from another angle and with family so things will be different. Also would like a visit to Buza bar which I missed last time, is it easy to find and is there a good time to visit during the day considering the length of time the walls take!

Thanks for any tips and hints.

Hamilton
Level Contributor
439 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip Dubrovnik

First thing I would do is to check on how many cruise ships are going to dock in Dubrovnik on the day you plan to visit. Check out http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/girica1.php which shows the cruise ships due to visit and the number of people who could have similar travel plans to yourself.

I am visiting Cavtat late August and I will certainly not be visiting Dubrovnik on Sunday 25/08/13, estimated 9000 people arriving by cruise ship that day. Enjoy your stay.

Edited: 16 July 2013, 21:39
Virginia
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip Dubrovnik

If you are in Cavtat all week, you need not do all of that in one day. Though it is certainly doable, it may be hot and you may want to take it more leisurely. My favorite time to be at Buza was at sunset. Everything is easy to find--the tow is quite small.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip Dubrovnik

you can always return to Cavtat by local bus, if it's later than the last boat...

Buza is easy to find, follow your instincts :)

Herts
Level Contributor
310 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip Dubrovnik

Thanks for the responses, if I get the boat to Old Harbor, should I walk to the Pile entrance to the walls or can i buy tickets at the Ploce entrance. I have done the Pile one but do not know how to enter elsewhere and if you can buy tickets there. Also cannot get the cable car booking system to work, wanted to book online in the hope of avoiding queues ,is this a good idea if i can do it? thanks

Durham
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip Dubrovnik

You can buy tickets at the Ploce gate. As you get very good views of the Old Town from the city walls personally I would not bother with the cable car and go to St Jacov's beach instead.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip Dubrovnik

You can buy tickets at the Ploce entrance, it is closest to the old harbor. Your choice to visit town should be limited to 31 July, as it is the least amount of cruisers arriving. Please do not miss the cable car, I do believe the trip is worth the fee especially if you wish to take some photos of the views. I understand that it is not for some, however the vast majority do enjoy the trip and views from the top of the mountain. Go early and avoid any long queues.

The Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
298 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip Dubrovnik

The war museum at the top of the cable car is a must and serves as a reminder of what war can do to a community. Well worth the effort and is a respectful thing to do.

Herts
Level Contributor
310 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip Dubrovnik

I will follow advice and try to find the wall entrance at Ploce, not on my maps for some reason,the cable car is more for the museum for me as have done the trip before but not the museum and remember the conflict all too well living nearby in Italy at the time,but the family have never been.I had the cruise ship timetable so was aware that there was only really one day to do Dubrovnik,hence the advice request. I was thinking that a day trip to Lokrum could be an idea from Cavtat and might avoid the crowds, is this wise? thanks for your help. Claire.

Cavtat, Croatia
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip Dubrovnik

Dear everyone, can just ask for advice? I am hiring a place in Pansion lovac any viewis on this place? in Cavtat a 17km from Dubrovnik,

has anybody been in this place before? how is the transport to Dobronick how much does it cost the boat and when does it finish everyday? how much are the taxis to Dubronick to Cavtav?

thank you

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip Dubrovnik

The number 10 bus goes from Cavtat ot dubrovnik and costs less than €2

Taxis from Cavtat to Dubrovnik cost approx €30.

The Boat goes regularly and costs €6.50 one way and €10.50 return. We always get the boat to Dubrovnik and then the bus back as there is a late bus returns in the Summertime. I think it could be about 1.30 am.

Get answers to your questions about Cavtat