We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre and post war.

Which Cavtat hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
730 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Pre and post war.

A sensitive subject I'm sure.

I happened to be talking to a former colleague today and we always chat about planned holidays.

When I told him I was off to Dubrovnik in a couple of weeks he replied "you're not going to Cavtat by any chance?" It turns out he'd been there in 1990.

I just wondered if anyone had experienced pre and post war and in what way (if any) Cavtat had changed?

Anyone?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
37,216 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre and post war.

Interesting question and I hope someone will answer that question.

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre and post war.

I have to say I didn't notice a difference.

3. Re: Pre and post war.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 07:59
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre and post war.

More homes built on the outlying areas above the Riva. Yes, higher prices for everything.

Edited: 07 June 2014, 05:17
UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre and post war.

Of course higher prices but that's the same throughout Croatia, not just Cavtat.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
37,216 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre and post war.

Was Cavtat damaged at all during the war?

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre and post war.

During the war,at the time when the worst shelling was happening in the Old town and the city of Dubrovnik, Cavtat was occupied by the Yugoslav army, people there lived under heavy curfew, men would be beaten on the street. Bear in mind that Konavle region, was burn to the ground and looted. Many Cavtat residents feared for their beloved ones who had to flee Konavle and were stationed in hotel Libertas Dubrovnik. On December 6,the hotel was shelled so badly that 12 firemen who were trying to put the fire out were killed on the spot. The war is over,people moved on, new developments were built ,especially in Obod but this picturesque town who among many is a birtplace of Croatian modernist Vlaho Bukovac did not loose its charm.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
37,216 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre and post war.

Thanks for that Darko!

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pre and post war.

Bravo Darko!

Horncastle, United...
Level Contributor
690 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pre and post war.

darko74 thank you. Very interesting but very sad.

We have just returned from a week in Cavtat and it is a very beautiful area but there seems still to be a lot of evidence of the war. Several hotels and buildings damaged and in ruins along the coast between Cavtat and Dubrovnik. Why has it remained so for so long? I was told this particular area is to be developed to be "like the south of France"!! I hope not.