We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

holiday in HVAR

Which Hvar hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
holiday in HVAR

we have booked a weeks holiday in HVARbut we want to fly to Dubrovink and have 3 night there and two nights before we go home after the week on hvar

we leave here on the 4 th may and return on the 16 th May

Does anyone know how far it is from Dubrovnik to Ferry near to Hvar at Drvernik ?

i assume this is better than driving all the way to Split.

Would i need to book ferry in advance in May?

Any suggestions about Car hire from dubrovnik for 8 days?

any hel pwould be great as we want to book Feeries and car soon if necessary

Tim Woolmer

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: holiday in HVAR

Dubrovnik to Drvenik is about 1,5 - 2 hours but you need a car. From Sucuraj ferry port on Hvar Island, you have another 2 hours up the sunny coast of Hvar. That road is poorly maintained so that is why it takes that long.

No need and no way of making ferry reservations. Drvenik - Sucuraj is not that busy...

Car you can book with Sixt (office in Hilton Dubrovnik right next to the Old Town). Car is better booked online and on time.

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: holiday in HVAR

There is nor possibility neither need to book the local ferry Drvenik-Sućuraj. There is less driving on the coast but more driving over the whole island , you will need more than one hour over the island, but it is scenic. Maybe the best would be to drive one way over Sucuraj and return over Split and then down the coast to Dubrovnik. The ferry from Drvenik is much cheaper than Split-Stari Grad.

Hope somebody else will answer about rening a car.

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: holiday in HVAR

Just noticed that we were posting at the same time. Never mind , is good for Timothy to read different opinions.

As for the drive Sućuraj -Hvar, I would say that it is less than 2 hours, if you are not scared of narrow roads. I would say more precisely, one hour to Jelsa and then 20 mins to Hvar, as the route Jelsa Hvar is much better and wider.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: holiday in HVAR

@ Jelsa - As long as people get their answers :)) And yes, people are usually scared of that road although it is one of the prettiest in Dalmatia so I say it is 2 hours.

england
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: holiday in HVAR

Thanks everybody for your help its great

Any more suggestions about reliable car hire ?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: holiday in HVAR

If I may ask - from Hvar, could you also ferry to Korcula and then ferry to Dubrovnik?

Also, if you do not have a car is there a bus from Drvenik to Dubrovnik, preferably that would run every day?

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: holiday in HVAR

From Hvar to Korcula you can go by catamaran(no cars) every day , and ferry(cars allowed) only twice a week. Summer schedule is not online yet. There is always the option of sailing back to Split and than bus to Dubrovnik or bus from Korčula to Dubrovnik.

Drvenik -Dubrovnik is OK for bus, but the problem is practically non existing bus from Hvar to Sućuraj(only twice a week I think)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: holiday in HVAR

Thanks again Jelsa. I am finally understanding many things through the research I'm doing here on Trip Advisor. The helpful comments people are providing are much appreciated!

9. Re: holiday in HVAR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2010, 06:18