We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire Hvar

Cheshire
Level Contributor
59 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire Hvar

We are visiting next summer - is it possible to pick up a hire car in Hvar and drop off Split airport ?.

I have looked at some web sites but it does not appear to be an option.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire Hvar

I am not sure why you would need to do that. What is your itinerary?

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire Hvar

You don't need to rent a car and drop it off at the airport.

The passenger catamaran leaves at 7:30 AM from Hvar to reach Split an hour later. From Split, you have buses and taxi (and private transfers available) right in the harbor.

Also keep in mind that taking a car over by ferry would cost you nearly a 100 E and, since there are only local agencies in Hvar, they would charge extra to go and get the car. Simply not worth it with a cab ride being about 40 E.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
59 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire Hvar

My thinking was to possibly hire a car when we are in Trogir as we may spend time on the mainland - we would then have the car to travel to the airport for our flight home.I thought of the option of starting the hire in Hvar.

I think you are right though - there is no need and it was not such a good idea !.

Thanks for your help.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Level Contributor
868 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire Hvar

just hire a car from Split airport (very near to Trogir) and drop it on your way back home

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,112 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire Hvar

It's only 4 km to the airport from Trogir so I wouldn't have a car just for that - it's an easy cab ride. If you think you will use one for other visits, get one.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
362 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire Hvar

Just make sure you have all risks collision insurance, quite a lot of cars on Hvar are not insured.

Hvar, Croatia
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire Hvar

You take one car in hvar , drop of in hvar before you leave, take catamaran to split, when you come to split you take another car and leave it at airport when you end. If you stay in city Hvar you will need car only 3-4 days. My friend have rent a car agency in split, and i have agency in hvar so if you want go on site www.rentacar.com.hr , make contact and you will get good offer. On site there is no that option so you make contact by e-mail or phone

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire Hvar

There is absolutely no need to have a car in Hvar town, it can even be a problem if your accommodation don't have a parking place for you. maybe you can rent a car or scooter for just one day to explore the island.

It is also not truth what Blitva says, that many cars are not registered. Used to be once, but only for old cars for driving in the wineyards.

Hvar, Croatia
Level Contributor
155 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire Hvar

@ blitvah - where do you live? not insured? do u think we live in the wild west or what?

hire car in hvar to see the island and leave it in hvar. take the ferry/catamaran to go to split and take the taxi or rent another car. in that way you don't need to pay the ferry fr the car (which is not so cheap) and you don't need to wait in the line for the ferry...

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
362 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire Hvar

For 4 to 5 weeks every year with my wifes relatives in Hvar Town, they have lived on Hvar for over 100 yrs.

Get answers to your questions about Hvar