We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Itinerary Guidance- Hvar/Croatia

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon Itinerary Guidance- Hvar/Croatia

Hi all!

Would love to have your help and guidance planning my honeymoon itinerary for next August 2013 (know I'm a little early to the game!)....

We will be flying in from Seattle and generally interested in the following:

-Spain- Andalucia south coast of Spain/Canary Islands

-Croatia- Hvar/Dubrovnik

-Greece- Santorini

We only have about 16 days so I know we can only pick 2 out of the 3 of these (we are definitely set on doing Santorini though). We are an active couple and want a combination of beach time/relaxation time and adventure time exploring a cool town. We prefer to be by the water at every stop.

If we end up picking Croatia and Greece- where should we go in Croatia? What's the best for a honeymoon? Thoughts? Totally open to suggestions of what would be the easiest and most cost effective route while satisfying our desire to visit some really amazing places!

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
46 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary Guidance- Hvar/Croatia

If you would be flying to Zagreb, then book a car, go to Plitvice lakes (afternoon trip) move down to Zadar,Kornati national park (diving), Krka falls, Trogir, Split, Hvar, Dubrovnik.... maybe some rafting/kayaking on Cetina or Zrmanja or diving on Hvar...I would go by car across Monte Negro and Albania direct to Greece with a few stops on the way, since both Monte Negro and Albania are worth visiting.

Although Croatia and Greece are not the States, 16 days wil be a bit stretched, but I would think a better and logical choice then Spain and Santorini, and as a bonus you can throw in two more countries since they are on the way anyway and get a very nice Euro road trip honeymoon.

Fly back home from Athens.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary Guidance- Hvar/Croatia

That sounds very active and exhausting for August when it will be very hot. I would plan to fly between Greece and Croatia - although on the map they look close it is expensive to take a car between the two. You would need to either fly to Split where you can access Hvar directly or Dubronvik where you can go to Korcula (also recommended) then onto Hvar. Congratulations and good on you for thinking ahead!

Edited: 31 July 2012, 15:36
Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
46 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary Guidance- Hvar/Croatia

Hmmm from Dubrovnik to Athens there is 700 km or 440 miles, one can do this in a day if in a hurry, there are no direct flights between Athens and Split or Dubrovnik, only Zagreb, tickets from 200 euro and up from/ to Split one way, 1-2 stops, minimum 400 eur for two, dont think a car would cost 400 eur for a day.

Since Santorni is a must and after all it is an island I dont see a problem with a bit hectic first week, flying from states to Europe isnt cheap so carpe diem.

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary Guidance- Hvar/Croatia

These are all great considerations- I am SO appreciative of your guidance, thank you both!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary Guidance- Hvar/Croatia

Go to Spain (and take me with you)...

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary Guidance- Hvar/Croatia

If you wanted to do car hire in Croatia and drive to Greece where you would then leave the car you would get a very hefty surcharge. Lots of companies won't let you take a hire car into Albania and I think I have heard the same about Macedonia. Montenegro is usually OK. It could actually work out more expensive to drive. Finally the roads in Albania have a very bad reputation. All I'm saying is - check it out first - although I would recommend Croatia over Spain a million times it might be tricky to do Croatia if your real priority is to get to Santorini.

7. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary Guidance- Hvar/Croatia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2013, 10:15