We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is a car needed

Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
205 reviews
Save Topic
is a car needed

Hoping to finally see hvar this year and stay for four nights. is a car needed to see places like starigrad jesla etc or is public transport ok interms of the amount of buses etc throughout the day. could someone point me to any times for early june.

also read a while back about trips to bol. believe they are private ones that go from hvar to the famous beach/ bol town. any info would be helpful. thanks

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,276 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is a car needed

There is poor public transport, I would recommend to rent a car or scooter for a day to see the island. There is regular line Jelsa Bol and organized tours too. Some agencies offer Hvar daytours.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
53,664 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is a car needed

I would say rent the car when you are out there when needed and don't bring a car in on the ferry.

Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is a car needed

Thanks. is car hire for a day on the island expensive. we will plan to hire while in split

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
53,664 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is a car needed

It will be rather expensive to bring the car on to the ferry so you are better off renting when needed. Maybe someone else can help with daily costs?

Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is a car needed

Yeah we wouldnt bring the car on the ferry. just hire for a few days in split then on hvar

Durham
Level Contributor
5,352 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is a car needed

You do not need a car to go to Starigrad, Jelsa or Bol. You would need a car to go to more remote parts of the island, but I would just hire a car for 1 day to do that. The centre of Hvar town is pedestrianized with no cars allowed.

Mentioned in this post
Jelsa
Jelsa
Hvar Island, Croatia
Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is a car needed

The buses between Hvar Town, Jelsa and Stari Grad are very good in my opinion. Only if you want to go somewhere remote would you need a car, and it is a waste of time in Hvar Town which is car free as apt22 says.

Mentioned in this post
Jelsa
Jelsa
Hvar Island, Croatia
Stari Grad
Stari Grad
Hvar Island, Croatia
Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is a car needed

thanks for your replies.we are only looking to go to the main places so i guess we would be ok on buses. any sites that give timetables?

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
5 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is a car needed

http://www.tzhvar.hr/en/info/travel_lines/

Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply