We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries to and from Hvar

Which Hvar hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Ferries to and from Hvar

Hello,

I will be visiting Hvar in late September and will need to take the car ferry to and from the island. My understanding is that you cannot buy car ferry tickets in advance. If true, does anyone know how crowded the car ferries usually get in late September? Given that there are only a few ferries a day for the 2 hour journey, I want to know how likely the ferries are to fill up. Thanks!

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,560 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferries to and from Hvar

in September, I don't see any crowds on ferries. plus there are no national holidays... you'll be fine.

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,234 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferries to and from Hvar

Till 30th September the high season timetable is valid, 7 times a day!! Just to feel comfortable do come 2 hours before departure,but really not neccessary.

Durham
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferries to and from Hvar

Do you really need your car on Hvar? Taking it from Split to Stari Grad and back will cost over 600 kuna.

New York
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferries to and from Hvar

thanks. does anyone know if the drvenik-sucaraj ferry is less crowded that the split ferry? since i will be driving up from dubrovnik i think the drevnik-sucaraj ferry might be faster and more convenient. thanks

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,234 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferries to and from Hvar

This one is very cheap, it takes only 35 minutes, but then you have to drive almost 2 hours on the local road to Hvar town, the first part of the road , from Sućuraj to Poljica being rathe rnarrow.

I would go via Drvenik if i were coming from the south. Drvenik is a very nice village to wait for the ferry, you can even swim on the nearby beach.

Calgary, Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferries to and from Hvar

I want to travel to Hvar Town on Nov 1/13 from Dubrovnik and then to Split Nov 6 or 7/13. Can anyone offer any advice? Much appreciated.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferries to and from Hvar

You should go from Dubrovnik to Split by bus first, than by a ferry to Hvar Town. You can also go to Stari Grad (on Hvar island), then by bus to Hvar.

4 to 5 hours by bus, 2 hours ferry

If you have a car, you can go from Dubrovnik to Drvenik, ferry to Sucuraj and by road on Hvar island to Hvar.

No crowd on ferries on November.

Lpoez Island
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferries to and from Hvar

Desire three days in Hvar after Italy skiing - middle of March, we are 69.

Suggestions? best island? or should we just stay in Split? We will travel by bus and ferry.

9. Re: Ferries to and from Hvar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2014, 05:17