We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Hvar

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
38 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Hvar

My husband and I will be going to Hvar in early July from Italy and are getting mixed feedback about our choice of transportation. As of now our plan is as follows:

Fly out from Milan, Italy and Land in Split, Croatia at 3:45 PM

Catch a ferry and/or catamarran to Hvar

Bus or cab to Hvar town/apartment.

We've been told that getting to the port may take about 2 hours and then getting to Hvar town from the port may take another 1 hour. Does this sound accurate? Any input would be much appreciated.

Vodice, Croatia
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Hvar

From Split, you can take one of these ferries for Hvar :

- Split 17:00 -> Hvar town 18:05 (jadrolinija.hr/docs/…)

Price : 55,00 kn (7 €)

- Split 17:00 -> Stari Grad (15 km from Hvar town) 19:00 (jadrolinija.hr/docs/…)

Price : 47,00 kn (6 €)

From airport to Split center, you can take the bus transfer (www.split-airport.hr/index.php…).

Transfer time : 30 - 40 min.

Durham
Level Contributor
4,663 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Hvar

Getting to the port in time for the 5pm catamaran would be possible if the plane is on time and you get through the airport without much delay and there's not too much traffic, but it is very tight. Last July Krilo Jet ran an extra catamaran from Split to Hvar at 6pm. If they run this again than would be a more comfortable collection. The ferry to Stari Grad is always there as a fallback, but will take 3 hours rather than one from Split.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Hvar

Your information is rather puzzling. One thing is getting from the Split airport to the Split port, with a shuttle bus taking 30-40 minutes, as previously said, and a cab taking slightly less than that.

Another thing is on the island of Hvar: it depends if you're arriving by catamaran, which goes to Hvar town, or by ferry, which goes to Stari Grad on Hvar island, and then you'll have a bus waiting for each ferry to take passengers to Hvar town, which bus trip takes about 30-40 minutes. Does this make sense regarding what you've asked about?

Edited: 22 April 2014, 18:28
Plymouth, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Hvar

Hello. I'm from Devon,England and am also flying to Split, then on to Hvar. Unlike yourself I am going on 22/5 [winter ferry timetable], which is non existent! you however are summertime and will be fine. The distance from Split airport is not as far as you think, no longer than 1/2hr, the large ferries take 2hrs to reach Sterigrad but the catamaran is about half the time. Furthermore there are a few catamarans that do go direct to Jelsa [look up where you are on Hvar] Otherwise the distance from Sterigrad port is not too long either. If you google 'ferries from Split to Hvar' you can see the timetables. I strongly recommend you do this so that you know when the last ferry departs. It is likely we will need an overnight stay in Split even though we too land at 3:10 as in winter the last catamaran goes at 4pm and the big ships don't seem to run much before 30/5. Hope this helps, have a good holiday

5. Re: Getting to Hvar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 05:15