We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Makarska or Tucepi ?

Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Makarska or Tucepi ?

Hi

I am thinking of going to either of the above in early June and would be grateful for any advice on the good (and bad)points of each resort.

Also, any tips on hotels (probably be choosing a 3 or 4 star hotel).

Finally, I`ve stayed at Cavtat before and Tucepi sounds very similar, from what I`ve read. Would that be accurate?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,655 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Makarska or Tucepi ?

I visited Croatia last September, we stayed in Makarska but visited Tucepi for the day.

I thought Tucepi was a charming quiet resort with some lovely restaurants along the harbour and was extremely pretty, a lot smaller and quieter than Makarska.

Makarska is also very pretty resort, sitting in the middle of a horseshoe bay against a spectacular backdrop of the Biokovo mountains. I could admire the mountains all day, can understand why they are the tallest mountains in the Mediterranean. I recommend a visit to the towns museum which traces the towns history. Another point of interest is the Franciscan monastery which was built in 1400. This houses a wonderful sea shell collection which is open daily from 10am to 12pm. St Marks church is also worth a visit which features a baroque silver altar.

Have a look at my photographs on the following link, which features Makarska, Tucepi, Bol (Brac) & Jelsa (Hvar)

…google.com/Welshtraveller111/Croatia#

We stayed in the hotel Park in Makarska, it was fantastic from start to finish, could not fault any aspect. For further information have a look at my review in the hotel section and for additional photographs have a look at the following link :-

…google.com/Welshtraveller111/…

We also looked around the Hotel Laurentum in Tucepi which seemed very nice with a excellent location.

Have not visited Cavtat so unable to compare.

Enjoy your stay!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
42,583 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Makarska or Tucepi ?

Very much agree that Tucepi is much smaller and more quiet. If you want more night life and noise, go to Makarska.

Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Makarska or Tucepi ?

Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.

usa
Level Contributor
103 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Makarska or Tucepi ?

Brela on the Makarska Riviera may be another place to visit. Quieter than Makarska. Depends what you want. Still all are quite beautiful.

Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Makarska or Tucepi ?

How does Brela compare with Tucepi.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
42,583 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Makarska or Tucepi ?

I would say that the biggest difference is going to be how busy it will be. Brela, to me, seems a lot more quiet than Tucepi. Tucepi was small, but very very busy.

Rainham, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Makarska or Tucepi ?

i would agree with all that Welshtraveller111 says

we stayed in podgora last september and used to walk along the coast to Tucepi for a long lunch, we found Brela a little "to quite" although also charming but then it was september

were ever you decide to stay GET a car and drive up and down the coast to see as much of this beautiful area as you can

UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Makarska or Tucepi ?

I would definitely say out of the two, choose Makarska! There's more diversity than in Tucepi, which is pretty much one road. Brela, Podgora, Drasnice and the other villages around the area are also beautiful, but are very quiet. They may be good places to visit in the day time if you want quieter beaches with less tourists, but Makarska if you want a bigger selection of bars/restaurants, etc?

Hotel Makarska and Hotel Park are both very good and pretty reasonable price wise, but you can also rent private apartments at good rates as well - let me know if you'd be interested in that and I can give you some more info

Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Makarska or Tucepi ?

Thanks for your very helpful replies.

10. Re: Makarska or Tucepi ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 06:23
Get answers to your questions about Makarska