We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Makarska - temperature in mid-June

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Makarska - temperature in mid-June

Hello!

Me and a friend are plannig a trip to the Mediterranean in mid to late June. We want to go somewhere with culture and maybe also some water sports/cycling, etc, but we also want warm weather and a summery mediterranean feel. The sunnier the better!

Makarska looks soo lovely - our only concern is that maybe it is to cold in mid June! Does anyone know what the temperatire may be like? Will it be pleasant to go swimming in the ocean in June?

Many thanks!

Durham
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Makarska - temperature in mid-June

The weather should be good in mid/late June and the sea fine for swimming although not quite as warm as July-September. There's not a lot of culture on the Makarska Riviera compared to other places in Croatia. There are not many older buildings because of earthquakes.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Makarska - temperature in mid-June

Weather 'should' be great in June. I say with crossed fingers because the weather is doing some funny stuff right now. We have gone 7 times in June around the first 3 weeks of the month up and down the coast. We only had chilly spells with a bit of rain at the start of the holiday twice, in Dubrovnik, and in Rovinj. Also a bit in Hvar which was unusual.

Bullets: It is 'usually' warmer in Dalmatia than Istria.

Swimming is very pleasant indeed. In Dalmatia especially, it is like a bath, especially if you come from Britain.

The better weather tends to be on the islands, but we did have a cool with winds and spots of rain spell once in Hvar at the start in 2009, though it was only a day or so and rapidly cleared to become very hot and dry.

Dubrovnik can have very heavy rain when it rains. Anywhere with mountains backing, tends to have a higher chance of rain, and that is also Makarska.

We have had over 7 trips usually: temperatures in mid 70s to mid 80s. Long sunny days. Very balmy evenings, though sometimes a light cardigan is needed. Usually I wear slinky dresses and sleeveless tops only very comfortably . It hit 90 several days last year in Hvar and Korcula, and in 2003 in Rovinj it was 90 approaching 100 though that was in a widespread heatwave over Europe.

Nutshell: You would be unlucky to get prolonged bad weather. It has never happened to us yet. If you check out the accuweather website's long range forecasts, it seems to be ok for the next month or so.

As said, if you really want the culture and lovely old Venetian towns, look at Dubrovnik, Hvar Town etc as Makarska is more of a purpose built tourist resort.

Edited: 24 May 2013, 13:35
Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,112 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Makarska - temperature in mid-June

In June, unless you like cold baths you can't describe the Adriatic as being like a bath! Well, perhaps if you're a hardy type from Yorkshire but not to a southerner!! However, we always swim when we go to Croatia in early June - it might take a few minutes to get in, but once in the water is great. I'd agree that it would be rare to get prolonged rain in June - sudden thunderstorm - goes through - dries up. June is usually a very good month as it is before the heat takes hold so you can still be active with beautifully light evenings. I would expect to be in shorts and sandals even in the evenings - I was wearing sandals out in the evenings at the end of April around Trogir and it will be generally warmer by mid June. As regards the culture Split or Trogir or Omis have much more.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Makarska - temperature in mid-June

Well, we're tough ya knaw oop north.:-D

That aside, I didn't mean bath as in, well a very warm bath but I have never gone into the sea in Croatia and screamed.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,112 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Makarska - temperature in mid-June

Sad to say - I have! Then again it was getting into deep water that I had to jump into rather than inch my way into. Despite this, I do actually swim in the sea around Brighton which bears no resemblance to any sea swimming in Croatia - ever!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Makarska - temperature in mid-June

Well I am Swedish so fairly used to jumping into water and screaming!

That said - thank you all so much for your ideas and advice. I had no idea actually that Makarska was not so cultural - I had the impression Omis was more of a purpose-built town. Hm. Maybe we'll look further south then...

Durham
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Makarska - temperature in mid-June

Or look across to the islands. Omis does have a fort and an old town as well as a river, but also plenty or traffic and the new part of town is a bit scruffy.

8. Re: Makarska - temperature in mid-June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Makarska