We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

park hours and how to plan our time there

RP
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
park hours and how to plan our time there

We're going to Plitvice in late September and will be arriving at the park by car late in the afternoon (4 or 5 p.m.) and wonder if we'd have time to walk and enjoy the lower lakes before the park closes for the evening. We will have at least 5 hours the next day to hike but aren't sure how to plan our time and not feel rushed. Any suggestions?

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
698 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: park hours and how to plan our time there

The park will close at 7 pm in September, so you could make just 1hour walk through lower lakes, starting at the entrance 1, descending immediately down to visit the big waterfall and walk until you reach the boat station- picnik place with restaurant and then come back to entrance 1 (exactly 2 hours all together, so in case you arrive later than 5 pm just go next day and do it in a proper manner).You can read my review about the walk, so you can do the extended version next day , reaching to upper lakes and doing the full circle in 5 hours, starting and ending at the entrance number 1.

Edited: 12 May 2012, 21:07
RP
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: park hours and how to plan our time there

Thanks so much for your advice....

Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: park hours and how to plan our time there

I lead groups and deal with car rental in Croatia and bang on what tihi says..its not the type of place you want to rush through! Late September in addition days are shorter nights cooler so take your time driving there enjoy a good meal in one of the restaurants just outside the park grilling meats over open fires and then do your tour daytime the following morning and afternoon. Enjoy!!

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: park hours and how to plan our time there

I wouldn't recommend entering the park that late. I did it last October and got stranded on the other side of the lake and had to walk half way back to reach the road and walk the road back to the hotel. I didn't see the timetable when the last bus and the boat are leaving.

5. Re: park hours and how to plan our time there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 21:40