We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plitvice Lakes and the board walks

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Plitvice Lakes and the board walks

My husband and I will visit the Park in May and I have concerns about navigating the paths.

We're a bit older than the usual traveler and while, in good shape "for our age", I admit to a phobic fear of "falling through the cracks" if I can see through the planks of a bridge. Are the wooden paths high about the water? Are the paths wide enough to stand in the middle without fear of falling? I understand there are no handrails, which is also a concern. If getting old is not for sissies (in the words of Bette Davis), I guess I'd better stop!

zagreb
Level Contributor
881 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plitvice Lakes and the board walks

Have no fear! Firstly because you can see a lot of Plitvice by just sailing in a boat and riding on a motor train.

If you have good sport shoes//sneakers you'll be safe. Poles for nordic walking will make you absolutely safe.

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plitvice Lakes and the board walks

The boards are not high above the water and the cracks are skinny ones. My Mom has the same issues and while she has not been to Plitvice Lakes, I know she would be fine there. You truly do not need to worry one little bit. Put your mind at rest and enjoy your trip! :)

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,485 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plitvice Lakes and the board walks

Just back from Plitvice and I have to say that the boardwalks are pretty scary. I went at the end of April so I appreciate that the water is quite high at the moment - but in some cases this means it goes over the top of the boardwalks - and sometimes the water is moving quite fast. Neither are the boards level or the gaps consistent - they are rough hewn logs and sometimes the gaps are 1" and sometimes 2" or more. There are also steps up and down in them that are you may miss seeing - I did - particularly if you are admiring the stunning views. However, on the bits that are actually dangerous there are some handrails. As for when a group goes past, everyone needs to adopt single file to pass and quite a lot of people seem resistant to doing this. Finally, if it rains or there is a lot of spray from the waterfalls then all the boards get slippery - I saw a woman in flip flops looking terrified. Sturdy walking sandals are the very least I would wear in the summer and I had proper walking shoes on. Walking poles are a great idea as has been suggested.

Finally, I can't see how you could possible see the park if you only use the boats and trains. I was there for 2 days and certainly didn't see it all. Lots of people ask if Krka NP is as good as Plitvice NP - I would say Krka is different and more suited to those who don't enjoy or do a lot of walking - it has a lot of different boat trips available to a monastery and a waterfall which are amazing and you can swim there. Plitvice is better for hiking and I would find it frustrating in the summer when it is really hot not to be able to cool down in the water. In fact I think it would be very frustrating to visit for only a few hours if you enjoy hiking as the volume of people can make it quite slow to get about the Lakes.

Plitvice Lakes is rightly a highlight in Croatia - I have visited a lot of Dalmatia and the vegetation was completely different further north - much more like Britain in fact - but it felt more Alpine with chalets on hillsides. Highly recommended.

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plitvice Lakes and the board walks

Jude, I have never been there with such a high volume of water which could make a difference. Proper footwear is crucial. I have seen a few women there wearing high heels!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plitvice Lakes and the board walks

Thanks for your review Jude. I was wondering about this as well. The path looks spectacular, but I could see how it would be scary when wet. My husband doesn't know how to swim so I think this may be particularly scary for him. If you can't see the place another way, then maybe we should skip it.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plitvice Lakes and the board walks

I have to chime in and say there is no reason for anyone to avoid visiting Plitvice. Take it slow, wear proper footwear, and obviously monitor weather conditions. Look at the zillion photographs that can be found online if you are concerned. I am a risk-averse person generally, but I just cannot agree with the notion that this place is dangerous. Now if you cannot walk, Krka would be better.

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plitvice Lakes and the board walks

Agree with luvgoin completely. No reason to avoid it. It would be a pity to miss.

8. Re: Plitvice Lakes and the board walks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2014, 07:16