We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visit to the plitvice lakes - day trip or stay overnight?

Which Plitvice Lakes National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
visit to the plitvice lakes - day trip or stay overnight?

Hi I'll be travelling to Croatia in mid-June and will be flying into Dubrovnik and travelling up to Split and leaving from Zagreb.

I will definitely be visiting the plitvice lakes but am wondering whether I should travel from Split and spend a night/ two there, or if I should go straight to Zagreb from Split and then do Plitvice as a day trip from Zagreb.

I've checked the hotels - unfortunately they are all full on 17 Jun (would like to get to Plitvice on 17 Jun, visit the park for a full day on 18 Jun, then either spend another night and leave for Zagreb early in the morning, or leave for Zagreb right after my visit on 18 Jun) - does anyone have any B&B recommendations? and in terms of location is there a big difference between the hotels and the B&Bs in the area?

Should i decide to stay the night, was also wondering whether it would be too rushed to do the park and then rush off to Zagreb with our luggage after the visit, or should I just spend another night and leave for Zagreb early in the morning?

Thanks so much!

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
11,210 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visit to the plitvice lakes - day trip or stay overnight?

Will you be driving or using public transport?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: visit to the plitvice lakes - day trip or stay overnight?

i'll be using public transport

NYC
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: visit to the plitvice lakes - day trip or stay overnight?

Hi. Had a similar question, from Zadar rather than Zagreb, and wondering what you decided on. Thanks.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
38,223 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visit to the plitvice lakes - day trip or stay overnight?

I would take a day trip from Zadar rather than spending a night there.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visit to the plitvice lakes - day trip or stay overnight?

Hi Sheatore. If you are a true nature person and you like spending your time in forest, around water, away from "civilization" than spend a night. That way you will have day and half at Plitvice lakes. Hotels or B&B(Apartments, Houses, all private acommodation) I would recommend private acommodation, because you will hang out with locals, thay all speak English at least, thay all have good home made products which you can not find in grossery shops :) everyone have free internet and competition is high so is accommodation level. Check on line what is the offer.

If you will go on a day trip you will have time to see all main atractions at the Lakes, which are amazeing :) and then come back. If you will do that I suggest that you do it from Zagreb, because of the price and duratation of the trip it self. 2 hours from Zagreb with a stop in Rastoke. Also check Rastoke it quite interesting :)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visit to the plitvice lakes - day trip or stay overnight?

Do you genuinely think it's not worth staying in the Park area overnight to avoid the onslaught of tourists mid-morning? I would be traveling from Plitvice on to Zagreb at the end of the afternoon....

Chicago
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visit to the plitvice lakes - day trip or stay overnight?

I would recommend staying overnight and touring the park early the next morning. We did this last week and are so happy that we did! There were very few people in the park at 8am when arrived - so easy to walk the trails and take our time enjoying it. When we left the park was packed! Long lines for tickets, trams. Parking lot was full of tour buses.

Chicago
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visit to the plitvice lakes - day trip or stay overnight?

I would recommend staying overnight and touring the park early the next morning. We did this last week and are so happy that we did! There were very few people in the park at 8am when arrived - so easy to walk the trails and take our time enjoying it. When we left the park was packed! Long lines for tickets, trams. Parking lot was full of tour buses.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visit to the plitvice lakes - day trip or stay overnight?

Thank you for that very clear advice. Can you tell me where you stayed, and if you have any other apt./hotel/hostel recommendations? It will be just for one night, and for my 24 year old son. There are a lot of choices...he will be arriving on the bus from Zadar. Also, how long did you stay in the park, and did you need to bring something to eat or are there restaurants nearby to grab breakfast/lunch?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visit to the plitvice lakes - day trip or stay overnight?

I visited the park last week, too, and I also recommend staying overnight at Plitvice and touring the next morning. This was my second visit to Plitvice, an amazing place. Both visits, I've stayed overnight. This time, I stayed in the tiny town of Jezerce, right outside the park entrance, where there are lots of sobe (private rooms, most with private bathrooms - basically B&Bs)..I stayed at one called Villa Lykos, because it was cheap and I booked last minute. It was OK for what it was. I was told one can walk into the park from there in about 20 minutes, but I had a car and parked at park entrance #2.

Last time, I stayed in one of the hotels that are right in the park. There are pros and cons of staying both ways. Staying in a park hotel is more expensive - not a great value for the money but super convenient. You can walk from the hotel right into the park early in the morning, and without a car, a park hotel is probably easiest to get to from a bus stop. Sometimes you can convince a bus driver to drop you in the town of Jezerce I guess but I hear it is hit and miss.

There isn't much in a way of food in the area but there is some. in Jezerce there is a pizza place in a place that also rents ski equipment (I ate there; pizza is OK). The park hotels serve food. There is one place in the park with a restaurant - at the boat landing at the south part of the lower lakes, where you can get burgers, snacks and drinks. (You can't practically access this place unless you are inside the park.) Some of the sobe serve breakfast, sometimes even dinner (not necessarily cheap).