We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with location in Porec or Rovinj please!!

Bourne, United...
3 posts
Help with location in Porec or Rovinj please!!

Hi there, we’re trying to decide where to stay - Porec if Rovinj. I think we’ve decided on a villa rather than a hotel as we like to go out to eat. Whilst we’re happy to hire a car, we don’t want to have to jump in it every time we want to go out for either lunch or dinner. Any suggestions on location would be very much appreciated to allow us a couple of bars / restaurants nearby if we chose not to go further afield.

6 replies to this topic
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
59 reviews
1. Re: Help with location in Porec or Rovinj please!!

By villa do you mean an apartment? If there are only two of you, there are not so many small villas in Croatia and usually in rural locations. There is plenty of choice in apartments in both towns withing walking distance of the centres.

Bourne, United...
3 posts
2. Re: Help with location in Porec or Rovinj please!!

Hey thanks for your message. There are 4 of us (2 children) and we’d like a pool!!

Level Contributor
747 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Help with location in Porec or Rovinj please!!

MrsW look up casa matiki near Rovinj. You can thank me later lol

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
4. Re: Help with location in Porec or Rovinj please!!

Seaside villas with poola are not so easy to find. If being right at the sea isn't important then you can probably find what you need all along the coast. Still, to be right near the centre, in either Rovinj or Poreč, I agree with Norcal that you will be looking at apartments, not villas. And no pool then, of course.

But perhaps there's more to consider here than just the perfect accommodation. For example, Rovinj is a bit isolated. Its old town is amazing but if you wish to see anything... more, you'll have to use a car. And then not drive for just five minutes as there aren't any other places that close. Also, there are... possibly hundreds of bars and restaurants in the centre, all along the coast. However, there aren't any real beaches there. For that, you'd have to go to the south, probably for at least 3-4 km. There you'll find the incredible coastal path, along the edge of a small forest and you can reach many great beaches and campsites. However, you'd probably need to rent bikes to get there or try to get close enough by car again. And walk. Also, outside of campsites there's hardly a tiny bar along that path. Another problem is that there are no apartments in that forest (or campsites) and the nearest area with apartments for rent would be 15-30 min away on foot. Again, bikes would be best and in the peak season you can rent them at several places but it may not be close to your apartment/villa.

Still Rovinj is brilliant and you can see some glimpses of that coastal path in this short movie of mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsSiTup4zrI THere's also a link to the real-time movie from that ride but this one might show you a bit more: https://www.youtube.com/watch… And you can see the centre, the old town and the bars and restaurants later in that same movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch… Keep in mind that it's a lot more crowded in July and August than September but I honestly find that Rovinj works best when crowded!

As for Poreč, it's very different. The old town can't come even close but still has its moments and... The coast is much more developed, with walking/biking paths going as far as Vrsar to the south and far up north, too. Also, there's a noddy train connecting the centre with some hotels to the south, going quite far. Many more bars and small restaurants along the coast, some campsites as well. Also, there's a waterpark basically within a walking distance (~3,5 km to the south( from the centre and you might be able to find accommodation even closer to it (near the Zelena Laguna campsite). Poreč is also more centrally located along the west coast of the Istria peninsula so it's easier to reach anything (there's another waterpark up north, near Novigrad). And there's a Dinopark just ~7 km from the Poreč centre.

Here's the short movie showing the coast (mostly) from Vrsar to Poreč (I even go by that Dinopark): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h4gEiQ-KJ4 and here's the short showing the centre and then some beaches and the coast far up north (to Červar), ending at a brilliant beach with no infrastructure :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v0co6b0Bs0 Remember, if you want to see more, my short movies always have links to those in real time. And feel free to ask questions. But also please tell us when exactly do you plan to be there and what are your general interests, so we can make better recommendations.

Bourne, United...
3 posts
5. Re: Help with location in Porec or Rovinj please!!

Thank you for all the info!!!!

Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
130 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Help with location in Porec or Rovinj please!!

Very helpful information srdjanlcanic

Thanks

Reply to: Help with location in Porec or Rovinj please!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Porec
Recent Conversations