We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kanfanar - near Porec

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kanfanar - near Porec

We are staying in a villa in Kanfanar (about 30 minutes from Porec) for 2 weeks at the end of June. Does anyone have any tips for good eating places in walking distance of Kanfanar - or any other tips about the immediate area?

Many thanks in advance

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
41,154 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kanfanar - near Porec

What brings you to Kanfanar? I must admit I didn't know where this place was until I just looked it up. I guess someday I will have to spend time in Istria and get to know this area better.

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kanfanar - near Porec

Barry - Kanfanar is where the tabacco factory is and not too far from Porec..

Casseopia: There's a poster who writes regularly on this Forum and she rented a place last year in Kanfanar. I think her latest post was 22 March with the title Medulin near Pula (sorry don't know how to do the link). Any way if you do a Search above you will find it. Her name is Lynda and if you click on her name you can send her a personal message. She may even see your post and reply. Sorry I can't help you with restaurants only to say Kanfanar is not a tourist place so maybe not too many.

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kanfanar - near Porec

Funwise & troughwise Cunfunahr leans more to Rovinj than to anything else.You can use iffy public transport or even better own propulsion.And to explore endless list of nearby tiny towns - you'll need one.

Barry - forget guidebooks & forums.Just rumble around.You can not go wrong even if you get lost.Istria is so much more than wholy treenity ( Rovinj-Poreč-Pula)

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kanfanar - near Porec

"Istria is so much more than wholy treenity (Rovnj-Porec-Pula)".

How right you are Kefa.

One query though 'treenity' !!!? Do you mean wholely trendy? - otherwise doesn't make sense.

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,869 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kanfanar - near Porec

Istria is absolutely wonderful and there is so much to experience and Kanfanar is an unusual destination. I am very curious as to why Kanfanar was chosen in particular.

Will you be renting a car? If so I can suggest many things from the ruins of Dvigrad to Pula to several hilltowns to Brijuni Islands to spotting kazuni (Istrian stone huts). Having been through Kanfanar often I cannot personally recommend a place to eat right in town as there are none that I can think of at the moment. However, if you do have a car I can certainly recommend many great spots (including some real gems).

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kanfanar - near Porec

I agree that Kanfanar is not exactly the place to choose for 2 week vacation. Without a car, you'd be rather stuck there with not much to do.

But if you will have a car, then Kanfanar is quite a good base for daily trips.

I agree on tip about Dvigrad (the old hilltown which was abandoned in 16th or 17th century whose inhabitants then found Kanfanar). ALong the same road you get to Lim channel.

DannyG

I almost sure kefa ment "holy trinity" :-)

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kanfanar - near Porec

Actually what makes sense is "hole treenutty".

I do remember at one time Rovinj had supreme socialite floater moment with both "Pelorus" ( The yacht) and "Maltese Falcon " ( hi tech sails)

Have no idea about mysterious villa but ...and if... the set up is wood & stone made authentic,quiet,reasonably priced ....and if the landlord has accesss to (grand)mother cousine and other local secret sanctuaries for senses.. than we talking about real deal.

Rovinj, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
955 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kanfanar - near Porec

Thanks for clearing that up Kefa! You do make me laugh :-)

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kanfanar - near Porec

Yes, thanks Kefa. Though I have to say some of your posts are as clear as mud to me! :-)

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
41,154 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kanfanar - near Porec

Kefa always makes me think..sometimes I just give up though! Good to see you back though Kefa!

Get answers to your questions about Porec