We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Language in Rovinj.

Which Rovinj hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sligo
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Language in Rovinj.

What is the dominant language in Rovinj? Last time I was there Italian was spoken quite a lot. Do more of them speak Croatian ? Reason I ask is that I visit Czech republic quite a lot and notice that there are many similarities with Croatian.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Language in Rovinj.

Lot of people are Italians but all of them speak Croatian as well. After all, Rovinj is in Croatia.

Both Czech and Croatian are Slavic languages so they are quite similar.

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Language in Rovinj.

Most of the people of Northern Istria are bilingual and speak both Italian and Croatian. You can get by in both languages.

Sligo
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Language in Rovinj.

Thank you both for your useful responses.

Redondo Beach, CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Language in Rovinj.

What about English? Do quite a few people speak it as well? This is going to be my first trip to a country where I haven't at had at least a year of classes in the local language (first trip to Europe at all) and I'm a little nervous. I've learned a little Croatian vocab but would definitely be more comfortable if I knew more. Maybe my rudimentary Spanish and French will help with any Italian I hear. :)

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,226 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Language in Rovinj.

Seine, most of the people understand at least a little of English, no reason to be nervous.

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Language in Rovinj.

If you are going to be in Rovinj, or any of the coastal resorts, you will find English spoken in hotels, restaurants and numerous other places. So don't worry. I'm afraid French and Spanish will be no help to you.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,546 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Language in Rovinj.

Seine33, I agree that you shouldn't worry about the language. So many people know English so you will be ok.

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Language in Rovinj.

In Istria,fairly spread is broken Italian or to some Istro Veneto dialect.Probably influences of centuries old Venice Republic,20 years of Mussolini,millions of tourists over the years and ear/tongue friendly character.

Among the other Slavic languages Czech/Slovak are (outside ex federation) probably closest to Croatian.

Simple,no idiom English is omnipresently ubiquitously cemented among 15-40 urban population.

9. Re: Language in Rovinj.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Rovinj