We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent car ahead or when we arrive - mid-October?

Atlanta, GA, USA
Level Contributor
415 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Rent car ahead or when we arrive - mid-October?

Hi all! Two or three friends and myself will be in Istria in mid-October, probably basing ourselves in Rovinj. I think we'll want to explore the hill towns and other area attractions, so probably want to rent a car. What I'm wondering is whether I should try to find a booking through Kayak or some other travel site aggregator, or if that's something I would pay much less for if I wait until the day we need the car. When I was in Aruba, our hosts were always asking if we needed a car rental that day, but when I went to Ireland we arranged it much ahead of time. Is there a best way to do it? Day by day or if we will need it for two days should we just go ahead and book it for that long?

Thanks for your help!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent car ahead or when we arrive - mid-October?

Waiting to arrive might be a little bit risky. Reservations are easy to cancel if you need. Some people use http://www.autoeurope.com/ . They are not rental company. Just broker. You can try several major companies like Budget, Hertz, Sixt, Avis with their direct reservations, too. Sixt does not require any payment upfront.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent car ahead or when we arrive - mid-October?

If you think you will need it for your entire holiday then it is easier to do from the airport as that is where you find the real competition. I use a travel site for this - usually www.travelsupermarket.com but I am in the UK. I have used a huge variety of car companies as a result and have not really found any better than any other. I am constantly 'upgraded' to bigger cars which I don't necessarily want due to driving on some small streets in Croatia. The only car that was given to me damaged and a bit dirty was from Sixt at Split airport (who also didn't even bother to come to the car-park with me once they heard that I knew where it was). However, I know that Tvrtko has had good experiences of Sixt.

If you plan to drive outside of Croatia check it has the green card inlcuded in the price and you can drive in Slovenia or Italy etc.

Another thought - if you want an automatic car then do book ahead - manual cars are more usual in Croatia and they have been known to run out of automatics though that is totally unlikely in October.

3. Re: Rent car ahead or when we arrive - mid-October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 17:07
uk
Level Contributor
142 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent car ahead or when we arrive - mid-October?

we were there in July

we had no problems at all on two occasions booking a car the day before we needed it at "Ventura" next to the harbour/ hotel Park. Nearly new Corsa/ Astra, all very easy really.

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
7,476 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent car ahead or when we arrive - mid-October?

We travel to Croatia regularly and always rent in advance just to be on the safe side. That way you get exactly what you want and will not need to worry about it later. As you are going in October it would likely be ok to book when there. Still, I personally would do it ahead. We have used AutoEurope usually - they also match prices.

I agree that you will definitely need a car the entire time you are in Istria. Believe me, there are TONS of things to visit that public transportation does not reach.

We also go every October as it is an incredible month to visit. After May it is our favourite time of the year there.

Indianapolis...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent car ahead or when we arrive - mid-October?

I hear that things close down mid-October, I think mainly coastal towns, but was concerned about traveling at that time of year or if we should wait. We wouldn't arrive Dubrovnik until October 21 or 22 and then head north after some time in Dalmatian Coast. Don't want to miss out if things are indeed sparse.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent car ahead or when we arrive - mid-October?

we rented from Uni rent in Rovinj this september and reserved via email with no upfront reservation fee.

Found that booking ahead of time was a great time saver and they were extremely accommodating.

Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent car ahead or when we arrive - mid-October?

I wouldn`t book a car beforehand for October. You can get a car at the Rovinj Bus Station. Photo- http://i.minus.com/ibhWEX3PSUswyi.jpg

barcelona
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rent car ahead or when we arrive - mid-October?

If you are around, come and visit the Kempinski Hotel Adriatic: kempinski.com/en/…

I can organize a nice glass of wine for you and your friends ;)

10. Re: Rent car ahead or when we arrive - mid-October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Rovinj