We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Timers to Rovinj!

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
300 reviews
Save Topic
1st Timers to Rovinj!

stayed in Cavtat this year - (2nd visit) and we love it but thought Rovinj may be a change.

Just starting to read about the area etc.

Any advice - hints and tips would be helpful.

Also how does it compare with Cavtat?

Barnsley, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Timers to Rovinj!

We stayed at Rovinj at the Eden before Cavtat,because we enjoyed it so much we went to Cavtat. There are plenty of things to, cafe bars, boat trips to nearby islands and coastal walks. The bus station is central so it's easy to visit Porec but we don,t think that's as nice as Rovinj. The roads are quiet so it's easy driving if your into that sort of thing. If you enjoyed Cavtat then it's a good bet that Rovinj will suit you.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Timers to Rovinj!

It'sbeen 5 years since I was in Rovinj...too long but hope to be there next year. Rovinj is gorgeous with such a buzzy friendly scene at night but not overpowering. I only visited Cavtat from Dubrovnik but I think there's much more to see and do around Rovinj and the town is to die for, you'll find a photo op at every corner. In the summer, there's lots of free concerts going on in the main square. The bars, especially those looking over the waterfront like Valentino's are lovely. There are loads of scope for going further afield, by bus or boat. I recommend getting over to Red Island and having some of the clearest water you'll see to swim in. Apparently the trees have grown back on the adjoining Maskin island after a dreadful storm in 2002. We spent idyllic days swimming as nature intended. My boyfriend enjoyed hiring a bike on a couple of days and pedalling down the coast while I sunbathed at Valalta! A bus takes you there from the station, in fact everything is incredibly easy, and the harbour is great, a proper working harbour with swanky yachts as well, so there's always something to see. It's a wonderful relaxed easygoing place, and after 7 holidays in Croatia it just pips Hvar to top spot for us. If you have any specific questions, I'll do my best to answer, though of course I am a bit out of date.

Oh and stay in an apartment....not a hotel.

Edited: 22 October 2012, 18:24
Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
7,415 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Timers to Rovinj!

Rovinj would get my vote most definitely. There simply is so much to do in the area as already mentioned. The town is very pretty. I also agree that to get the best experience, stay in an old stone house, villa or apartment. NOT a hotel.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Timers to Rovinj!

Agreed, there are just so many nice restaurants and locals to interact with, you will not get the same experience in a hotel.

Middlesbrough
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Timers to Rovinj!

Hi, going to Croatia in August, think we have settled on rovinj. Your post helped. The only thing is Dubrovnik was on the shortlist as well. Will we regret choosing rovinj over Dubrovnik?

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Timers to Rovinj!

I don't think so, having been to both.

Dubrovnik is of course a lovely city. But like Venice, it has been over run by cruise ships and spoiled accordingly. Rovinj is still very much despite a four star gloss and pretty bars, a working fishing port with a life outside of tourism.

Edited: 05 February 2013, 21:25
Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Timers to Rovinj!

Sorted out now - Just booked some Jet2 flights to Pula and an apartment in Rovinj for mid July.

Just need to sort out airport transfer - any thoughts anybody????

Tower City, North...
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Timers to Rovinj!

shuttle bus will take you to Pula city for 3-4GBP

and from there you have a lot of buses every hour or less to Rovinj

it cost 35 kn (3 GBP)

also you can take taxy from airport but i think they will ripoff you 30-40 pounds

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Timers to Rovinj!

That's the way we've always gone. Buses are frequent and reasonable to Rovinj. More money in the pot for dinner!

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st Timers to Rovinj!

Thanks - but it seems that the bus service from the airport to Pula then Pula to Rovinj only runs monday to saturday!

According to the tourist board who sent me the time tables for all bus routes!

So it look like we will be ripped off by a taxi/transfer company!

Get answers to your questions about Rovinj